General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old
Default Re: Personal Info on Install of OSX - 02-02-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CyG
The main reason to bother is that the info you add is used directly by the OS to make your life easier. A major joy of OS X is integration and address book, mail and safari are a big part of that. Putting yourself in a position where you are afraid of the full capacity of the product is setting yourself up for disappointment.

My primary concern is that this UnaClocker and others have done a great job of keeping this community focused on respecting Apple's IP and this thread seems to feed into the kind of paranoia common to software pirates. I still have yet to see any proof that Apple even collects this personal data!
I own two real macs and have paid for Mac OS X multiple times. So I just quit the registration process as it is a bit annoying. It just creates an Address Book entry for yourself, which will be synced via MobileMe anyway. So don't assume, that everybody who quits the registration is concerned of piracy (although I can see, that some users here are ).
  (#22) Old
Default Re: Personal Info on Install of OSX - 02-02-2009, 08:02 AM

I don't see the problem if you used a legit copy of OS X. This info will form the basis of your Apple ID which you'll need to do anyway if you want to enjoy certain payable features such as MobileMe or if you want to acquire music through iTunes or apps for your iPhone, or simply access the discussion forums.

Dell Mini 9 2GB 64GB RunCore SSD BT 1.3MP 10.5.8 A05 NBI .8.3 RC3
MBP 2.4 C2D 4GB 160GB 10.6.2
Macmin 2.53 C2D 4GB 320GB 10.6.2
Macmini 1.83 CD 1GB 80GB 10.6.2
iPhone 3Gs 32GB; 2*PS3 (320/40GB + PlayTV); Wii; PS2; PSP Phat; PSP3000

« OpenGL or Software Rendering? | No Startup Disc »