General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 06:40 AM

would anyone here say that this is stable enough to give to someone or say do to someone elses that happens to be xp illiterate and will just bring upon their own doom in a matter of weeks with it, well that being said is this stable enough if i set it up for them all up to date and pretty much told them it is now frozen as far as updates go, YOU NEVER UPDATE!!

would they be ok going about their lives with just needing to know boot -f if you have a prob?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM

The great thing about the type11 method, and this new one that's going to replace it is that it's totally safe to perform updates on it. It MIGHT need the miniscript re-run when 10.5.7 comes out, but it will still boot, at the worst, it'll need a couple local kexts like the audio re-installed by the minscript. All other updates are golden. I'd give it to my mother, and tell her nothing other than ENJOY! Our install process is nothing like the old school hackintosh distro's, there's a reason why we defend it with a passion. It's bullet proof.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

i love you, and all your uplifting words.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM

wraithalchemist - - -

I have to agree with UnaClocker. I installed 10.5.6 with v7.7 on my mini-9 using UnaClocker's "USB Flash Drive" method, and it appears to be bullet-proof.

I keep a USB stick with v7.7 on it . . . just in case; but I have really put this little machine through a lot of testing in the last week, and I can't break it. I plan to give it to my wife who is happily computer-illiterate, and I expect her to never have to change it.

Dell Mini10v, 64GB RunCore Pro IV SATA SSD, 2GB Memory, A06 BIOS, 10.6.7, NBI 20100616212351, Bluetooth enabled (external dongle), USB Legacy disabled.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah I agree. I had never once even used OS X before installing on my Mini 9. I bought it since my old desktop PC was on its last days and I really wanted a netbook Mac. It is my main computer now and I have had no problems. On a related note I am sooooooo happy with OS X too. Its the little things like being able to shut down in like 2 seconds instead of the seemingly 2 minute shutdown on XP (and that is assuming that there wasn't an annoying install of updates needed yet again).

Former owner of... (sold through this site)
Dell Mini 9
Other Mods - 2Gb RAM, RunCore "64"Gb SSD, Dell Wireless 1505 b/g/n, Dell Bluetooth, US "Int'l" Keyboard
  (#6) Old
Default Re: stable enough.... - 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM

I have to agree with everyone else. I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff. I mean like don't understand 80% of what people are talking about on here sometimes and I got it installed on my Dell mini and absolutely everything runs flawless. I have added quite a few updates including going from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, running a newer update (did the original install with v6 boot, and have now run v7.9) and have also ran xslimmer and added the mousepad controls and have not had one single problem with any of it. A few things I was a little scared to make the moves on because I wasn't sure about them, but I figured the only way to learn is to try it.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that, if I can do it I am pretty confident that anyone can pull it off (it did take me about a week to figure it all out, but the end result is more than worth it all). When i first got my mini I was doing research on installing os X, and ran across the win86 method, and almost started on it, but then I found these forums and found all of the work and information provided by unaclocker and others and I new I had to use this method, as it was "the right way". So I would say go for it, once you get it up and running you will never look back and won't ever regret it!

Red Dell Mini 9, 64GB Runcore ssd, 2GB ram, os X 10.5.6, bluetooth, camera. The Dell mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

« repairing permisions | NEWB: Run OSX off of SDHC, USB, or external HDD? »