General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Bluetooth problem with phone PAN profile. - 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

My device was originally a UK 8Gb Mini 9 with Ubuntu (with built-in bluetooth) which is now sporting a 32Gb drive and running OSX 10.5.6 (using Type11 v7.9).

The only problem I have is with Bluetooth.
There are two symptoms:
1) I can't turn BT off within OSX. The BT symbol appears in the menu bar and the Bluetooth preferences opens fine but the option to turn BT off is disabled. The work around for this is to turn BT on and off in the BIOS. Not a perfect solution but it does work
2) When I pair a mobile phone with the OSX if I initiate the pair from OSX then everything is fine until I enter the passkey on the phone and OSX reports it is Gathering Additional Information at which point Bluetooth turns off and won't turn back on until I delete the phone pairing in BT preferences and reboot.
If I initiate the pairing from the mobile then I can pair the devices and then browse the phones memory from OSX via Bluetooth File Exchange. If I then go into BT Preferences, select Configure this device and select "Access the Internet with your phone's data connect" only the that works fine and I can use the mobile as a Bluetooth 3G modem.
However if I select "Use device as a network port" then BT shutsdown exactly as before.

I've tested this with both a Nokia 5310 and a Samsung i900 Omnia (the omnia does not support the DUN profile so I can't confirm that DUN works OK that device) so while I'm not an expert it looks to me that there's a problem with the way the OSX is talking to the BT device that is trashing BT when a PAN connection is set up.

I some people have had similar problems so I'm wondering if there's any information on this and if there's any hardware or software differences that might indicate why it seems to be working for other people and not for others.

(#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to jeffburg
Default Re: Bluetooth problem with phone PAN profile. - 01-24-2009, 02:37 AM

the built in bluetooth cannot be turned off the by the drivers we currently have.

as for connecting to phones, i have paired mine with a headset and it works for skype. but i don't have a phone with bluetooth tethering to see if I am having the same problem.

Mini9 Black/32GB RunCore/1GB/BT/Leopard
2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/320GB/4GB/Leopard
1.83GHz White iMac/150GB/1.5GB/Leopard Server
733MHz PowerMac G4 40GB/512MB/Tiger Server
500MHz PowerBook G3 40GB/1GB/Tiger
25MHz NeXT Cube 750MB/16MB/NeXTSTEP 3.3

« Type11 OSX 10.5.6 proof of concept video | v7.9 USB method - can't see Leopard USB stick »