General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Running Apple Mails Folders on SDHC Card - 01-23-2009, 03:18 AM

You cannot do an alias - you need to use 'symlink'
see ... dID=612360 for some info

Close Mail, Copy the Mail folder from your Home folder/library to your SD card root
Rename your Mail folder in the Library (for the time being)
Open Terminal
Type ln -s
and drag your new mail folder to the Terminal window (this ensures that the pathname is correct)
finish the command with ~Library/Mail

i.e My command was;
ln -s /Volumes/SD\ Card/Mail ~/Library/Mail
This creates a shortcut that looks like an alias but is a symlink - in the Library folder
Open Mail and test - then delete the old mail folder

I presume I can do this for other apps - to allow my 8Gb system to run sweet. My install is just over 5Gb and I have iWork09 and many other small apps.

Mini9, 2Gb, 8Gb SSD, 16Gb SDHC, SL 10.6.3, Sound fix without Voodoo, Bluetooth Mod, NBI 0.8.4
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Running Apple Mails Folders on SDHC Card - 01-23-2009, 04:28 PM

I use Symbolic Linker to add a service to the contextual menu. Makes this process exceptionally easy.

My favorite trick is to use duplicate symbolic links and dropbox to sync my mini with my home computer.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Running Apple Mails Folders on SDHC Card - 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Nice idea. Symlinks and the ~/Library/Mail. doest it work without problems? What would happen if both Mail applications are running?

At this moment I have a script running every night to sync my Mail folder with another Mail folder in the Dropbox folder. (rsync -a ~/Library/Mail ~/DropBox/Backup/) So at least I have a copy. I just want to make sure my Mail doesnt get corrupted.

DELL Mini9 - 2GB RAM - 64GB SSD - BIOS A04 - German Mac OS 10.5.6 (installed via DellEFI 1.07) - German keyboard. No problems at all.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Running Apple Mails Folders on SDHC Card - 02-06-2009, 01:20 AM

ok im trying to do this with symbolic linker to used my sdhc for downloads. it wont let me replace the downloads folder in my user folder because it says its needed by the os and i do not have sufficient permissions. i've tried everything and nothing works.

i have also tried renaming the folder to "downloads1" in my users folder. it still doesnt work.

any help will be appreciated. thanks

« Thankyou so much! | Running your Dell Mini without dsdt.aml file »