General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Best way to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 on a Mini9? - 02-23-2012, 01:24 AM

It's been so long since I updated to 10.6.3 that I don't even remember which method I used. I searched but couldn't find anything. What's the easier way to update to 10.6.8?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-05-2012, 05:47 AM

try to seek before ask

1. Download MacOSX 10.6.8 Update (Please do not use Software Updater) . Alternatively you may download MacOSX 10.6.8 Combo Updater (1GB +)

2. Download nawcom’s legacy kernel and SleepEnabler (if you use SleepEnabler , otherwise ignore it) , extract it and move legacy_kernel-10.6.8 to Macintosh HD or root of your drive aka (/ )

[Optional] You may want to download these legacy kexts – EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext . This is to avoid the infamous stuck at PCI Configuration or non-working WiFi. Its completely optional though

3. Install OSX 10.6.8 Combo updater but do not REBOOT.

4. Fire up Terminal and run the following commands :-

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_bad
Renames default kernel into mach_kernel_bad

sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /mach_kernel
Renames nawcom’s patched kernel as default mach_kernel

For those who are using NBI - You may reboot now as Intel Graphics kexts are automatically patched , and the system should be good to go

For those who are using UpdateEFI2 – Simply run UpdateEFI2 and select System Update. Let it patch Intel Graphics kext and you are good to go

[Optional] – Place the legacy kexts in your /Extra/Extensions or EFI partition

For those “I did it my way…” – You are on your own. Basically you’ll have to patch Intel Graphics and thats about it

6. Reboot and keep your fingers crossed . If you are having few issues , feel free to read the troubleshooting guide

Troubleshooting Guide

Stucked at PCI Configuration – Simply install the legacy kexts which I’ve included above. You may have to revert back or use a boot loader from USB to get past and install these kexts back

« Dell Mini 1012 and OS X | NBI 0.8.5pre and OS 10.6.7 »