General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Good advices for newbies - 01-01-2012, 11:05 PM

All through my successes and failures in following the various guides and tricks here and there, the most important thing I've learnt is that you have to be PATIENT when doing any of those patching and NetbookInstaller things!
Sometimes you may think it's not doing anything more but won't restart and then you force shut-down... BIG MISTAKE!
Except if it's an obvious Kernel Panic or typical crash at startup, if you wait for a few minutes, the event that was supposed to happen ends up doing so. (be it restart, or even entering SAFE MODE)
As an example, you'll see people (like I did...) who, while attempting to boot in safe mode (keeping shift pressed to enter chameleon boot menu and then typing -x), arrive at a point where you can move the mouse but can't click or type anything: if this happens to you, wait for a few minutes, it's not always working, but it might work after a while, so that you can enter your account and run NetbookInstaller or do what you like to cure a faulty OSX.
It took me a loooong time to understand that!
And this is really important because, as I've just found, starting in safe mode and applying NetbookInstaller again from the faulty OSX is sometimes THE ONLY WAY TO CURE IT (instead of starting from a different drive or partition and applying NetbookInstaller from there).
By the way, at the moment of this writing, the version you should use is "NetbookInstaller 20100616212351"

One last advice I want to give is that it's a good idea to activate the "root user" (if you don't know what it is, google for it) and make your DIY from there: some operations work better that way.

Oh, one more thing: having a 10.6.7 working is relatively easy, but It's not so obvious with 10.6.8, so you have to consider your skills and the time lost for not so much gain in the end (also considering that somebody has been able to run Lion even on a 32bits processor...).

« Can't restore 10.6.3 DVD to MBR partition | I secure erased my Runcore 64. Any way to restore? »