General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default How? GPT GUID Partitions Multi OS: Clone, Move, Resize, Boot - 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM

How? GPT GUID Partitions Multi OS: Clone, Move, Resize, Boot

Machine: X61T

PRIMARY HDD: 100 GB 7200 rpm - Win 7 64 bit - Primary OS

SECONDARY HDD: Experimental Multi-Boot Scenarios

I want to try out Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and some Linux options.
Once I get more familiar, comfy and enjoy working on them, I want to integrate into a single HDD.

I want to be able to CLONE the WORKING OSes from the above mentioned HDDs INTO a single HDD.

I would definitely be going with a GPT/GUID multi partition scenario.

Also, I have access to multiple Partition Management tools: Acronis, Paragon, Easus etc. Server/ Enterprise Editions of several of them.

I also have several such tools for the Mac OSX Platform - Drive Genius, iPartition etc etc.

I know all the above tools wont do all the things I may want to do in terms of
- Cloning certain types of Partitions
- Resizing / Moving them

e.g. I may begin to start using Mac OS X a lot more and hence want more SPACE for it and decide to increase its PARTITION SPACE..
e.g. Maybe have a SL and a Lion partition share a singular HFS DATA partition?
Stuff like that.

- Booting them.. without issues

But I know the individual tools by themselves can do several of them.

- What I need is to ensure that I understand, how the Partitions are STORED
- How Boot Managers such as Chameleon work in Multi OS Boot Scenarios and..

- How one can force Chameleon (and/or another Multi-OS Boot Manager) to "refresh" and boot OSes, once their Partitions have been rehashed - moved, cloned etc on the MAIN INTEGRATED GPT/GUID Disk?

- How & where can I go to read and understand this stuff as I play with it on the SECONDARY HARD DISK -

I've done Partition Manipulation and Multi Boot in the good old days of Parition Magic, Norton Ghost and System Commander (Boot Manager) when I've run these off 3.5" Bootable FDDs all running on shining new Pentium 1/2 processor.

The good old day of Master Boot Recrods (MBRs), Primary/Secondary HDDs, Logical/ Extended Partitions etc.
  (#2) Old
Default Use Gparted for Partitioning - 11-11-2011, 05:08 AM

I think you might want to try Gparted Live. It's free and readily available for downloads. I'm using gparted-live-0.9.0-6 version. It allows me to create a Mac Partition and a NTFS Windows Partition and a FAT32 Partition on the same drive. It then allows you to set which partition you want to boot from. You can use the "slider" to make a partion larger or smaller wiithout losing data. MAC can read NTFS but it can't write to NTFS. It will ruin your partion to try. Use the FAT32 to write to since both MAC and Windows read and write FAT32.

You have to burn the .iso to a DVD and boot from the DVD.

I am running my Mac OSX 10.6.7 from an External USB drive since I still haven't gotten Chameleon (the boot loader) to recognize an internal SATA Drive on my Dell Vostro laptop. (When I tried 10.6.8 everything "froze" so I reloaded 10.6.3 and upgrade again to 10.6.7)

If you want to "Dual Boot", one method requires putting Chain0 on your Windows XP drive with a command in boot.ini (Windows 7 treats it differently, but I don't know the particulars). I've gotten that part to work but it still can't find the internal SATA drive, so I boot to the USB External.

One of the biggest headaches for me getting started was making the mental switch from Windows XP to MAC OSX. I wasn't aware at the time that Leopard 10.5 was quite different from Snow Leopard 10.6 and I tried using 10.5 solutions. It got very confusing. Also, drivers are called .kext for Mac OSX.

If you stick to only solutions intended for the version of install (ie: 10.6 solutions for Snow Leopard 10.6) you are attempting, you'll fair much better. Don't let a few KPs (kernal panics) deter you since they are sure to happen. After a successful install, you have to track down the .kext (drivers) for Audio, Key Board, Track Pad, Wireless, Printer, Sleep Mode, etc. Some of these devices will work with the install, others will have to be fixed with the APPROPRIATE .kext You can remove an unworking .kext that causes KP without having to reinstall MAC OSX.

Hope this gets you started.

« Slimming down OSX? Program files? | Cannot install Mac OS X 10.6.3 via Netbook CD »