General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM

I am curious as to how you installed osx on the 1012. I've done a clean install on a 10v way back when. But can't seem to get it complete on the 1012

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Macintoshy View Post

i successfully hackintoshed my dell mini 1012, and everthing worked super-well, but when i tried to shut my laptop down and restart it, the (64 bit kernel message appeared) so i restarted my laptop and booted it up with nbi and it re-worked superly.

My question is,

do i need to boot my laptop up with the nbi usb every single time????

Or is it only me having this dilemma?
I am curious as to how you installed osx on the 1012. I've done a clean install on a 10v way back when. But can't seem to get it complete on the 1012
  (#12) Old
Default Guide for 1012 - 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM

can someone direct me to a complete guide as its been a long time since ive done a hackintosh. im currently awaiting parts to fix this bricked 1012 ... new motherboard. so i have two 10v's to do but they are pretty simple. its the 1012 i always have a problem with.
  (#13) Old
Default Old method SL install for Dell 1012 & 1018 - 12-03-2012, 01:55 AM

There may be newer method I don't know about. Here is the method I used a couple years ago on both a Dell 1012 and a Dell 1018 (Still use the 1018 as a travel Hackintosh when I don't want to risk my MacBook).

What you will need:
1) NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre (download)
2) NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre (download)
3) PlistEdit Pro (download)
4) Access to a Mac running SL
4) Legit copy of 10.6 Snow Leopard
5) Mac OS X 10.6.3 v1.1 update (Combo) & subsequent updates (download from Apple)
6) 16Gb or larger USB drive to prep as your boot drive to install SL
7) Dell 1510 WiFi card to enable WiFi to work (eBay)

STAGE 1 – Make a bootable SL USB drive for the Hackintosh (This step requires access to a real Mac computer and a legit copy of SL)

On a Mac with your OS X 10.6 DVD and your USB drive:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.0 DVD), and connect the external USB drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookBootMaker’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

STAGE 2: Getting the Dell ready for OS X & installing OS X

1. With USB drive in turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Select the partition on the HDD
6. Select Erase, format should be “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition and give it a name eg "OSX_HDD"
7. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
8. Select the partition you just created and click install
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

STAGE 3: Updating the OS on the “Hackintosh”

Install 10.6.3 update (and subsequent updates)
Install the 10.6.3 update, it'll take awhile, be patient
On reboot it'll stop with error "You need to restart your computer
Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."
So during boot press F8 it'll halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from
Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar
Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"
Type arch=i386 and press enter
Should boot O.K. now (Just this once though, it will fail again on reboot)

STAGE 4: Get sound working (Install NetbookInstaller) and fix arch=i386 boot problem

Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller’ application select target as partition that you installed OSX to and click install
Close NetbookInstaller
Don't reboot
Install PlistEdit Pro
Open PlistEdit Pro
Select File Open, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
Kernel Flag string entry will be blank
Change it to arch=i386 (I haven't been able to get it to work in 64 bit)
Select File Save and punch in your password
Close PlistEdit Pro
Reboot and sound should be working.

To get WiFi working you will need to purchase a Dell 1510 wifi card on eBay and replace the one in the 1012 and load the appropriate Kexts.

Unfortunately QE/CI (graphic acceleration) does not work due to the implementation of the GMA 3150 graphics chip used on Dell 1012 & 1018. No Kext was ever written & doubtful at this point there every will be as the Netbook Hackintosh world is getting smaller and other alternative Netbooks are fully video capable like the Dell 10v.

My Dell 1018 did not come with Bluetooth. I bought a cheap USB Bluetooth when I want to use Bluetooth device.

I use alternate freeware apps to get around the lack of QE/CI like older version of VLC or the Elmedia player to watch videos. Instead of OS X Preview I use freeware versions of screen capture, JPEG & PDF viewer apps. I’ve never been a big Pages user and have no problem using Word or some freeware word processors.

I'll try to help anyone I can but it's been a few years since I made my own Dell Mac OS X 10.6. SL systems (never went above 10.6.6) . . . once running they just keep doing nicely without needing to redo.

« iSight internal webcam to USB pinout | Latest Developments »