General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Installing snow leopard on dell inspiron duo - 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Over the past couple of months I have been discussing my progress with installing Snow Leopard on the Dell Inspiron Duo on another forum on the site, but have been asked to provide a step by step guide as to how to do this so I thought i'd start a new thread.

I should start by thanking people who have helped to achieve the success I have so far. Firstly, I have to thank Merklot whos help has been invaluable, not only did he create Netbookinstaller (0.85 pre is the current version) which you will need but he also explained to me how to remove the evil appleacpibattery.kext which was preventing me installing Snow Leopard. Next, I must thank Jedparkes whose guide I am going to rip-off to begin mine as the process is identical and lastlylike to thank Karm and all the posters who have weighed in with help towards fixing issues on Dell Mini 1012 and OS X
My respect goes out to you all.

Now, as most people will want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard (until snow leopard is 100% functional) this is where we'll start.
You will need access to a mac (running snow leopard or later [preempting Lion]), a (genuine) Snow Leopard Install DVD and (genuine) Windows 7 Install DVD. The Windows 7 that comes with the DUO i found impossible to get working on a dual boot. You should also collect all the drivers and Dell software you need to get the system up and running on Windows 7 before you start. You will also need a sufficient sized USB stick (mine is 16gb).

If you follow this guide please note that I accept no responsibility for it not working or you screwing up your system. If it worked for me and it doesn't for you, its likely you are doing it wrong.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Download Either for windows
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta
EasyBCD 2.1 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums

For OSX
NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre
http://netbook-installer.googlecode....8.5pre.app.zip
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Ex...ement.kext.zip
VoodooHDA.kext
http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/d...6.zip&can=2&q=
HDAEnabler.kext
WIFI_AR9285 kext (mine was a zip containing an "IO80211Family.kext)
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update (Combo)

UPDATE: I HAVE CREATED A FILE STORE FOR ALL (COULD BE MOST) OF THE KEXTS, DRIVERS, APPS AND UPDATES YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS PROCESS TO A NEW DROPBOX. VISIT DROPBOX.COM, USERNAME: duomacinstall@gmail.com, PASSWORD: duomacinstall. HOPE IT HELPS. PS PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT MY PERSONAL EMAIL ACCOUNT, SO I WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY MESSAGES SENT TO IT.

UPDATE: HERE ARE LINKS FOR INSTALLATION VIDEO EPISODE 1 & 2
EPISODE 1 :
EPISODE 2 :

Stage 1 - Setup HDD for Dual Boot
I found this fairly tricky to get my head round but i followed this process, obviously change the size of the primary partition size (40000 would be 40gb) to match that of your hdd. It is probably wise to set different sizes you can remember so you can easily work out which partition has OSX on it and which has Win7. The brackets do not need to be typed.

"To install Windows 7 on GPT is simple; while installing from windows 7 DVD, you will get to the segment that you can create or delete partitions in, press "shift+F10" this will open a command prompt and you can use diskpart to convert to GPT"

Type: DiskPart (start Disk Partition tool)
Type: List Disk
Type: Select Disk 0 (select the main HD)
Type: Clean (clean all files from it)
Type: Convert GPT (setup GUID Partition Table)
Type: Create Partition EFI Size=200 (Win7 EFI Boot Partition)
Type: Create Partition Primary Size=40000 (Mac OSX Partition)
Type: Create Partition Primary Size=40000 (MS Win7 Partition)
Type: List Partition (show HD partitions)
Type: Select Partition 3 (MS Win7 Partition)
Type: Format FS=NTFS Quick (format it as NTFS)
Type: Exit (exit Disk Partition tool)

At this point, i'm windows would not install on any of my partitions and requires a reboot. I rebooted and then setup the macosx install. Then went back afterwards and installed Windows 7. If you want Win7 to be the default operating system install MacOSX first.

Stage 2 - Prepare USB stick for installation of MAC OS X
Prepare USB HDD 16GB or bigger to boot and install OS X
On your Mac OS X 10.6 with DVD-ROM drive and USB port:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.3 DVD both worked for me), and connect the external USB drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Use finder to go to "/Mac OS X Install DVD/extra". Use shift+cmd+g if you can't work out how to enter "go to folder".
13. Enter the 10.6 folder and copy the "Extensions.mkext" to a new folder on your desktop called "DUO". Within the "DUO" folder create another folder called "Extensions".
14. Open "terminal" and type "mkextunpack -v -d" the drag the newly created "Extensions" folder from stage 13 (now referred to as S13) to the terminal window. Then drag the "Extensions.mkext" file to the finder window. Hit enter. Enter your admin password if asked for it.
15. Open the "Extensions" folder and you created in S13 and in it you will find all the extensions from inside the "Extensions.mkext" file. DELETE the "AppleACPIBattery.kext". It is evil and must be destroyed. Now you need to rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" file without it.
16. Use finder to enter "/tmp" folder (shift+cmd+g)
17a. Copy your "Extensions" folder (S13) to "/tmp".
17b. Make sure you do have an admin password for your account otherwise the next part won't work.
18. In "terminal" type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /private/tmp/Extensions" and hit enter. Enter admin password when asked.
19. In "terminal" type "sudo chmod -R 755 /private/tmp/Extensions".
20. In "terminal" type "sudo kextcache -m" then drag the "Extensions.mkext" from "Mac OS X Install DVD/Extra" to "terminal". When its location appears in "terminal". Move the "Extensions.mkext" file to the trash (you already have a backup in the "DUO" folder). Go back to "terminal", leave a space and type "/private/tmp/Extensions". QUICK RECAP. Type "sudo kextcache -m {location of Mac OS X Install DVD/Extra} /private/tmp/Extensions". Hit ENTER.
21. This will now rebuild your "Extensions.mkext" file in /extra without the appleACPIbattery.kext.
22. Once you have done this, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Stage 3 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell Inspiron DUO
2. Select F12 During boot
3a. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
3b. On the drive select screen (grey screen) if you press the down arrow twice it will give you boot options.
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Select the partition on the HDD you want to install OSX to
6. Select Erase, format should be “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition and give it a name eg "OSX_HDD"
7. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
8. Select the partition you just created and click customise.
9. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, i removed all the alternatively language packs to reduce install time by half.
10. Your DUO will reboot. Select the MACOSX drive (you can remove the USB stick during reboot).
11. Finish installation steps, make sure you put a password on your user account

Stage 3 - Install Additional Kexts
1. Open Finder, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
2. Copy both these file to AdditionalExtensions Folder
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, HDAEnabler.kext (unsure if this one is completely necessary but does no harm), VoodooHDA.kext, and IO80211Family.kext (from the WIFI_AR9285" zip file).
Run UpdateExtra.app
Reboot and should boot o.k. with sound.

Stage 4 - Prepare to install combo update 10.6.5
1. Use finder to go to "/extra". Use shift+cmd+g to get there.
2. Copy the "Extensions.mkext" to a new folder on your desktop called "DUO". Within the "DUO" folder create another folder called "Extensions".
3. Open "terminal" and type "mkextunpack -v -d" the drag the newly created "Extensions" folder from stage 2 (now referred to as S2) to the terminal window. Then drag the "Extensions.mkext" file to the finder window. Hit enter. Enter your admin password if asked for it.
4. Open the "Extensions" folder and you created in S2 and in it you will find all the extensions from inside the "Extensions.mkext" file. DELETE the "AppleACPIBattery.kext". It is evil and must be destroyed. Now you need to rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" file without it.
5. Use finder to enter "/tmp" folder (shift+cmd+g)
6a. Copy your "Extensions" folder (S2) to "/tmp".
6b. Make sure you do have an admin password for your account otherwise the next part won't work.
7. In "terminal" type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /private/tmp/Extensions" and hit enter. Enter admin password when asked.
8. In "terminal" type "sudo chmod -R 755 /private/tmp/Extensions".
9. In "terminal" type "sudo kextcache -m" then drag the "Extensions.mkext" from "/Extra" to "terminal". When its location appears in "terminal". Move the "Extensions.mkext" file to the trash (you already have a backup in the "DUO" folder). Go back to "terminal", leave a space and type "/private/tmp/Extensions". QUICK RECAP. Type "sudo kextcache -m {location of /Extra} /private/tmp/Extensions". Hit ENTER.
10. This will now rebuild your "Extensions.mkext" file in /extra without the appleACPIbattery.kext.

Stage 5 - Install 10.6.5 combo update
1. Install the 10.6.5 update, it'll take a while, be patient.
2. Reboot.

Stage 6 - Prepare to install combo update 10.6.6
1. Use finder to go to "/extra". Use shift+cmd+g to get there.
2a. Delete the "DUO" folder on your desktop.
2b. Copy the "Extensions.mkext" to a new folder on your desktop called "DUO". Within the "DUO" folder create another folder called "Extensions".
3. Open "terminal" and type "mkextunpack -v -d" the drag the newly created "Extensions" folder from stage 2 (now referred to as S2) to the terminal window. Then drag the "Extensions.mkext" file to the finder window. Hit enter. Enter your admin password if asked for it.
4. Open the "Extensions" folder and you created in S2 and in it you will find all the extensions from inside the "Extensions.mkext" file. DELETE the "AppleACPIBattery.kext". It is evil and must be destroyed. Now you need to rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" file without it.
5. Use finder to enter "/tmp" folder (shift+cmd+g)
6a. Copy your "Extensions" folder (S2) to "/tmp".
6b. Make sure you do have an admin password for your account otherwise the next part won't work.
7. In "terminal" type "sudo chown -R root:wheel /private/tmp/Extensions" and hit enter. Enter admin password when asked.
8. In "terminal" type "sudo chmod -R 755 /private/tmp/Extensions".
9. In "terminal" type "sudo kextcache -m" then drag the "Extensions.mkext" from "/Extra" to "terminal". When its location appears in "terminal". Move the "Extensions.mkext" file to the trash (you already have a backup in the "DUO" folder). Go back to "terminal", leave a space and type "/private/tmp/Extensions". QUICK RECAP. Type "sudo kextcache -m {location of /Extra} /private/tmp/Extensions". Hit ENTER.
10. This will now rebuild your "Extensions.mkext" file in /extra without the appleACPIbattery.kext.

Stage 7 - Update to 10.6.6
1. Use "Apple Software update" to install all updates.
2. Be patient.
3. Reboot.

Stage 8 - Install Windows 7
Install to partition that you created earlier (hopefully you made them different sizes so you could recognise them, like I advised you to earlier).
Configure your installation as you would on your normal Windows
Install all necessary dell drivers and dell programs you should have collected earlier.

Stage 9 - Configure dual boot
Install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and run
Select Add New Entry
Select Mac under "Operating Systems
" at the top
Name = Whatever you like eg. Mac OS X
Mode = MBR

That's it all done.
Hope this helps any issues please post replys so I can update or help if I can. If anyone works out the touchscreen issue or manages to get the LION beta Dev code to install please let me know. PS I do work full time so I will reply to posts as and when I can.

cheers

AlixanderMcFly

Last edited by AlixanderMcFly; 03-05-2011 at 01:24 AM.
  (#2) Old

Default Thanks so much for this! - 03-04-2011, 01:52 AM

Alixander this is great!
  (#3) Old

Default 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Too bad virtualization technology does not exist on the Duo's n550. I would be using Mac OS to run V-Win and V-Linux in a heartbeat.

Great Guide however Cant wait until all the drivers are polished

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#4) Old

Default 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM

I have mine up and running and have a few remarks:

Obviously, you only need to update once with the combo pack. If you only have 10.6.5. and intend to update 10.6.6. later, then of course it makes sense to update 10.6.5 now. One only really needs to do the terminal changes on install twice. Once on the USB installer and the other on the combo pack at a minimum.

I did not use EasyBCD as I installed the original Dell Duo Windows from a Ghost 12 backup that I actually made along with the Dell "make a backup" software, redundantly expecting the Dell restore would reinstall Windows 7 to a smaller SSD drive with the included software.

It did not work so I reverted to my Norton Ghost 12 that screens pop up when you open it in Windows 7 and say will not work but does for Onetime backup I can cite. (I don't know about recovery points in Win7 but off topic) THOUGH, my Ghost 12 needed a genuine Windows 7 installation DVD to fix boot/startup when used Ghost 12. Had I not made this extra backup using Ghost 12 I would have had to reinstall like you did putting in drivers, etc and I would suspect not quite being the original Dell Duo Win 7 DVD. Ghost requires, obviously, booting from the disk that it used to install it to recover.

I just formatted my drives (including a small FAT32 drive to eventually play about with Android X86) with Disc Utility creating Mac formatting for partition 1 and the other 2 FAT 32. I did for a moment insert a Windows XP (could be 7) DVD to format my second drive to NTFS in case Ghost 12 had trouble recognizing it (unlikely). The original Dell Duo restore DVD that the system made, wanted a 294GB (or abouts) drive to restore same size or more of original and refused to load. I changed the drive to an SSD of 120 GB to cure latency like pinching the screen to re-size. I will also add, for setting active partition, if need be on some installs you can simply put in a Windows 98 startup disk and Fdisk using DOS command a:fdisk. A menu will appear to set active partition. Boots in seconds without waiting for an XP/Win7 disk. Partition information can also be viewed on option 4.

Mine is running OSX surprisingly well and typing this from OSX Dell Duo. I was surprised to see YouTube running so well with occasional lags but quite watchable without the GM3150 video acceleration.

My touchscreen only clicks *where* the cursor is, so, it would be nice to find a driver sometime. Everything else seems to work except Blue-tooth but that is OK for now. I was also surprised at the remarkably fast boot of Snow Leopard, of which, I updated to 10.6.6.

Oddly, my update worked except Safari and when it restarted to load the newer version from download, went into a kernal panic trying to install latest version. I simply installed Firefox that has given me no problem as Safari also hung at Youtube for some reason.

For experiment, I did try to load a software video accelerator. It worked somewhat but after boot created a kernal panic and I had to re-up OSX as I was unable to recover despite various boot commands.

I did load Windows back in first into my second partition. Just inserted via external USB DVD/CD drive, said, Windows 98 startup CD to make it active, before this, I set partitions simply from configuring disk utility via the USB install drive. Then, like I also said, converted to NTFS but perhaps this was not necessary with Ghost 12 backup of the original factory install. Then I loaded OSX into the first partition of the 3 I made. It dual booted without doing anything or using EasyBCD.

Thanks!!! a lot for the info. It was quite useful. This OSX install of this Dell Duo is not quite there but very usable. Oddyly, my Systems Preferences on some device(s) <trackpad> seems to want to reload it's screen (takes 1/2 second and no issue for me) when I look at something.

Once again as many have said: a round of applause for Merlort's fine work. (I hope many remember that on the Blog donation link)

MiniManiac

UPDATE: 3/16 I temporarily took OSX out. Removed the 120GB SSD and swapped temporarily with a 30GB SSD. I loaded the original Dell Windows 7 software into the Dell. Be very careful with the ribbon cables if you swap drive. The keyboard ribbon cable is a bit tricky and if the clasp pops off it is likely not broken but can go back on in an odd way of threading it in. Mine popped off twice.

I am a MAC person with a couple of MACS but my view (and only my view) is that the Dell Duo for most purposes is very handicapped and seriously afflicted without the GMA 3150 acceleration even if most of the OSX is working. If Meklort, so far, with his impeccably, seasoned coding skills has not been able to solve this then perhaps only it would take Intel and that is not likely. Remember this is a low end configuration of using the CPU to use graphics memory by using RAM and no graphic chip. So could be an intricate driver employing CPU that never happens. This also has serious touch-screen driver issues (or lack of driver) that is the crux of why it was originally purchased.

I will 'wait and see' how drivers develop over the coming months. If a person HAS to get a fully operational Netbook with OSX you should get the Mini1011 (10v). I just bought another one of those THOUGH will prefer to use Dell Duo with Windows 7 BECAUSE the Dell Duo is such a much, much NICER Netbook,
Graphics exponentially better than the 10v. Trackpad on 10v is awful though workable. Dell Duo trackpad is excellent and a lot more.

This draws ire with my OSX co-horts but *Windows 7* is much improved over Vista. I never thought I would say this but in the Dell Duo with the touch-scrren software and the new dock (has more functionality than the OSX dock) that resembles OSX - I kind of like it or at least quite acceptable in lieu of the OS I would like. There are programs, if you want the OSX interface, to make Windows 7 look exactly like OSX. (not myself or haven't thought about it)

Am I a 'Windows person' now? NO!!! I will up my MACs with Lion when available. Would I ever buy a Windows high-end laptop? NO! Will I continue to use Windows 7 and not be upset it is not OSX in the Dell Duo? Yes, until the the GMA 3150 video acceleration is fixed and the touch-screen issue is solved for accurate use of the touch-screen. I could with minor issues running the Duo with OSX but the major hangups are a stopper right now.

At this time the more functional and proved working (I believe Sparta) alternative version for the Dell Duo is the Android operating system.

Update: 3/20 Installed Android a couple of days ago in USB drive (running from). Like it! Quite snappy. Seems great for non-productive browsing, email & general use. Has bugs but hopefully x86 Android will develop in 2011.

Update: 04/07/11 For now the OSX issue is over. I just installed Thinix Touch that is optimized for the Dell Duo. Makes the Duo IMO awesome touch computer/tablet with productivity capability. There is a thread in this forum on it. You do not even have to go into Windows shell we are all familiar with if you do not want to. Program is first-class tablet programming though not everyone I have read likes it for resource using reasons. I run an SSD in Duo so that is not the problem. Honestly on the Duo I would rather have this than OSX it is that good BUT obviously OSX on a non tablet touch screen I would prefer. You never see Windows shell if you do not want to. Makes the Duo kind of Androidish for lack of better word. You can try it on trial. A++

The program is very well written with excellent touch-editors. There is a patch for the Dell Duo. Too Cool!!!! Make the Duo a real tablet and you can go back to normal OS shell in seconds.

MiniManiac

Last edited by MiniManiac; 04-08-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: grammar
  (#5) Old

Default Help wanted - apply within - 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Ok so, this is as far as I have got. Now I need help from expert installers of "Hack OSX". The following needs sorting and I have no clue how to go about it.
  • Touchscreen currently only works as a double click on my Mac Duo. On previous installs it has worked to move mouse pointer but has been uncalibrated (is that a word?). How can we get this working correctly? Also the touchscreen appears to be linked to.......
  • The Bluetooth. This works when the touchscreen acts as a mouse pointer but not when it is a double click (sounds like a riddle).
  • The Processor. A 64bit Intel Atom N550 1.66ghz dual-core. Not recognised as one by Mac OSX. How do we access its potential?
  • Sleep. How can we enable sleep. Including on close of lid?
  • Broadcom HD Crystal Video Accelerator. There appears to be a way to get this to work in XBMC, but I can't can't get XMBC to work. Video is Juttery and unwatchable.
  • Full power from the Intel GMA 3150 Graphics Accelerator.

Any help is massively appreciated by myself and the growing Inspiron Mac Duo community. Thanks In advance

Al
  (#6) Old

Default Thoughts on the Touchscreen - 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM

I know almost nothing when it comes to programming, so I am suggesting this while wallowing in my ignorance.

Would it be possible to trick OSX into interpreting input from the touchscreen as coming from a trackpad?
  (#7) Old

Default Latest updates results - 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM

Itunes OK
Java OK

Safari KP
10.6.7 KP

The 10.6.7 update and Safari issues on the Duo may be resolved as NBI and better kexts come to pass.

Also Xcode 4 KP (3 was fine)

Glad everything still installs and works on my 10V. Wishing for a day when the Duo does as well.
  (#8) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Is the problem with Quartz Extreme / Core I working? Meaning Is the support for the display acceptable?

My retail SL (10.6.3) is in the box just collecting dust on my table.

Thanks,
Tik

XPS-1340 Merlot | C2D-p8700 3 Gig | 1510N-wifi | 9500g SLI | 3 Gig RAM | Crap -HL-DT-DVD gs20n | => donate=given away.
Lat2100 | Yellow | 320-40G-g3 ssd | 1366x768 | 1397b/g | 2 Gig | 6-Cell | Got back from Ell
Mini9 - 1 Gig 16 gig SSD OSX10.6.3 to 10.6.7-unstable so_now_10.6.8 Very nice.

hack+, re-use+, recycl+, donate+
  (#9) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikblang View Post
Is the problem with Quartz Extreme / Core I working? Meaning Is the support for the display acceptable?

My retail SL (10.6.3) is in the box just collecting dust on my table.

Thanks,
Tik
Screen resolution runs at 1360 x 768 (or a very close resolution) looks absolutely fine but just a bit slow and doesn't handle video very well.
  (#10) Old

Default 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM

I need help and googled all the possible solutions but not going anywhere.

I finished installing OSX and I get stucked on a big power button logo after a reboot.

On boot I typed the option on the lower left corner

boot: arch=i386 cpus=1

Here are a couple of images;

This is the last portion;

I tried to install two times from Merklot's guide using USB approach flash and external adaptec HDD. Can I go to command from boot?

Thanks,

Tik

XPS-1340 Merlot | C2D-p8700 3 Gig | 1510N-wifi | 9500g SLI | 3 Gig RAM | Crap -HL-DT-DVD gs20n | => donate=given away.
Lat2100 | Yellow | 320-40G-g3 ssd | 1366x768 | 1397b/g | 2 Gig | 6-Cell | Got back from Ell
Mini9 - 1 Gig 16 gig SSD OSX10.6.3 to 10.6.7-unstable so_now_10.6.8 Very nice.

hack+, re-use+, recycl+, donate+

Last edited by tikblang; 04-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.

« Snow leapord successfully installed on Dell Inspiron 11z | 10.6 + PlayBook = Kernal Panic.. Help »