General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#51) Old
Default 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Here is the answer:

I found it on

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

The other problem is with the MacOSX updates.

I have updated successful to 10.6.1!!!
Higher is not possible, but why???
what is the reason for this?
  (#52) Old
Default 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

Here is a guide that I have put together, based upon the one Karm Linked to for the 1012, as well as various posts from all over the internet. Credit goes to all the people who posted those threads and guides, which ultimately helped me to get this working!

I am running SL 10.6 and have never updated beyond that. I know nothing about how to get OS X running beyond what is in this guide, so please do not waste both of our time by asking:

Installing OS X from a USB flash drive

1. Insert your flash drive and OS X Retail install disk into your computer

2. Open Disk Utility (searching in Spotlight is the easiest way to find this)

3. Select your flash drive from the list on the left. Make sure to select the drive itself, not any partitions you may have written to it before.

4. In the right panel, select the "Partition" screen.

5. From the dropdown menu, select "1 Partition," then click "Options" below the partition map.

6. Select "Master Boot Record." This will ensure that your Mini 10v can boot from your flash drive. Select a name for your partition—doesn't really matter what—and apply your changes. Keep in mind this will delete anything you have on your flash drive right now, so back it up if need be.

7. Once this is done, move from the "Partition" screen to the "Restore" screen in Disk Utility

8. For your Restore Source, select (by dragging) the OS X install disk from the left panel. Make sure this is the item called something to the effect of "Mac OS Install DVD," not "Optiarc DVD" or some other hardware title. For the destination, drag your newly-prepared partition over. Click restore.
This will take at least an hour, so go have sandwich or something. Or even better, skip ahead make sure your Mini 1018 is ready for the install, as outlined in the next section.

Ok, once that slog is done, it's time to let Netbook BootMaker do its magic. And let me be clear: it is magic. What this utility will do is install a special bootloader on your flash drive, which allows your netbook to begin an OS X install. It also throws in a few driver tweaks, to make sure your 1018, y'know, work.

9.Open the NetbookBootMaker application. If a warning prompt shows up asking, "Are you sure you want to open it?" click Open. Select your OS X partition on your newly-minted flash drive. Press "Prepare Boot Drive". Enter your password, then click OK. It can take several minutes to complete, so be patient. On the popup window that says done, click OK, then exit the NetbookBootMaker app.

Aaaaand that's it! You're ready to start hackintoshing.

Installing OS X

Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X

. Turn on your Dell 1018

. Select F12 during boot

. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection

. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’

. Create and format a “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” partition

6. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.

. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

Starting up for the first time

On reboot it'll stop with error "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

So (instead) during boot press F12, it will halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from

Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar

Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"

Type arch=i386 and press enter

Should boot O.K. now (just this once though, it will fail again on reboot).

Get sound working (Install NetbookInstaller) and fix arch=i386 boot problem

Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.4’

Select target as partition that you installed OSX to, click install.

Close NetbookInstaller.

Don't reboot.

Open up terminal (Applications > Utilities) and type the following:

defaults write AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

(This will show you all of the hidden files and folders on your operating system. If you want to reverse the command replace TRUE with FALSE.)

Turn ofF hibernate with:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Delete the sleepimage with:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

You should notice about 1Gb more free disk afterward.

Install PlistEdit Pro

Open PlistEdit Pro

Select File – Open, navigate to your blank

or navigate to the file in the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder

Kernel Flags string entry will be blank

Change it to arch=i386

Also add:

(Not sure if necessary?)
<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Select File Save and punch in your password

Close PlistEdit Pro

Install Kext Helper b7

Install VoodooHDA.kext

Install AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Install Disabler.kext

Close Kext Helper b7

Open DSDTFixer

Extract dsdt with and put it in root and rename to DSDT.aml

Reboot and sound should be working.

(#53) Old
Default 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM

i have a Dell 1018 and I am about to try to Hackintosh it. I don't fancy gutting it to replace the internal Wifi card. I wonder if anyone has tried the tiny USB Wifi card you can get on eBay with Apple drivers?

« FLASHBACK trojan | Can’t transfer music from ipod to pc? »