General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 "Unsupported Hardware" - 11-13-2010, 08:35 AM

I've had a Dell Mini 9 for awhile and I recently decided to update to 10.6. I followed the guide here: Method 4: Direct Install from Mac to SSD/HDD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew using Method #4 from a 17" MacBook Pro. It didn't go very well and I'm currently stuck.

I installed base 10.6 and then ran NBI 0.8.4RC1. I ran Software Update and updated to 10.6.5. I then moved over to the Mini and got a kernel panic. I realized I should've been running NBI 20100616212351 and all further runs were with that.

Using recovery=y I booted and figured I could just run NBI 20100616212351 and reboot again. When I did, it reported that I was running on "Unsupported Hardware".

I went through the source code to see how NBI determines what hardware is supported and verified with IORegistryExplorer (from the 10.6 Developer Tools) that indeed my orig-model string is "Inspiron 910" which should be the Mini 9.

Thinking the problem might be the fact that I had BIOS A00, I updated to A05, but that hasn't helped.

For one final shot, I merged the Dell Mini 9 and General machine types in the installer. That has produced the best results so far, with the machine able to boot reliably, but only in recovery=y mode. It boots fine normally, but right before you'd get the login prompt, the display goes to a solid grey (same color as the background during boot but without the Apple or Mini 9 logos) and that's all I get.

Any ideas on why NBI doesn't think my machine is supported would be much appreciated.

« update | Installing Xcode 3.2.3 and iPhone 4.0.2 SDK on SL 10.6.4 »