General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#31) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Howto: OSX and Windows7 on GUID based disk (w/bootloader) - 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Done deal..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#32) Old
Default Re: Howto: OSX and Windows7 on GUID based disk (w/bootloader) - 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM

The key question is, has anyone figured out how to get this working or should it be considered a dead end. I would love to get Windows7 on my machine as well but had the same problem as others.

(#33) Old
Default Re: Howto: OSX and Windows7 on GUID based disk (w/bootloader) - 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM

These guys ( claim to have it working. However, it looks like their setup might be a little different (difficult to tell, as the instructions are not so clear - for example, it's not clear whether the disk is formatted MBR or GPT, etc.). Still, if true, it seems to be a step in the right direction. I also want to check out Win 7 - it's pretty fast on Parallels on my MacBook - but I'm tired of installing, so I'll stick with X until the method is known/perfected.

There's also this site (, but the guy uses MBR and not GUID which I believe TYPE11 requires...
  (#34) Old
Default Re: Howto: OSX and Windows7 on GUID based disk (w/bootloader) - 01-29-2009, 03:40 AM

Have you tried the easy bcd 2.0 beta. it is in the new releaces forum of insanelymac.

Black Mini 9 Dual Boot XP and Win7 build 7022 with 32gb Runcore
Asus P5B/7600GT/E6600/Sonata 2/Windows 7 build 7022
  (#35) Old
Default 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM

Erm, great I just installed Win 7 on my mini 9 having read the first few posts and now I realize that I've just trashed my Mac OS setup. Can the original poster please edit the first post that this method is not working. A Howto implies that it is a working solution.
  (#36) Old
Default 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM

I must have been lucky managing my dual boot as I had none of these issues. I read thru this entire thread and I guess I did things slightly differently. Installing Win7 and then OSX did not work for me. I did OSX first, partitioned with Disk Utility, then installed Win7 (from USB) allowing it to reformat the fat partition I allocated to it (into NTFS), added EasyBCD 2.0 beta and it all just worked. Like I said, "lucky I guess".

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
  (#37) Old
Default 06-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Ok, after a lot of tinkering I finally got it working. I had previously installed Mac OS direct onto the RunCore using a real MacBook and its USB port. Then DellEFI etc.

Then I did the following:

1) Resize the Mac partition in Mac OS with Disk Utility (no need to boot from CD)
2) Download Ubuntu 9.04 UNR, put it on USB stick (instructions on the site), then boot it from USB stick
3) Open Terminal and download gptsync from apt-get. To find out how just type gptsync and it will tell you.
4) Unmount Macintosh HD or whatever your Mac partition is called (go to Desktop view and press the eject symbol).
5) gptsync /dev/sda (confirm)
6) Boot Windows 7 install disc and now you can install into the empty space. When it's done, install Synaptics Touchpad driver, jmicron card reader driver, Dell wifi Fn key driver (gets rid of unknown ACPI device), and use Windows Update for newer NIC and wifi drivers.
7) Now we just need to mod the Windows bootloader to add a Mac OS choice. EasyBCD 1.7.x didn't seem to work, nor did the 2.0.0 beta from insanelymac forums, but I did eventually get it to work using 2.0.0 r63 (you need to register with the forum to download it Use EasyBCD in Windows to create a new Windows 7 boot entry for Mac OS, but use the MBR *not EFI* loader. Double check that it places a file called nst_mac.mbr in C:\NST. I think the earlier versions of EasyBCD weren't creating this properly (I was getting an error saying it was missing on boot).
8) First time you try and boot Mac OS it will ask you for the drive hex code (mine was 80, not 81 as a lot of guides say). When I was using the EFI option in EasyBCD I would get Darwin loading but without allowing me to type any options (like -v or -x) and it was crashing at the blue screen just before loading the desktop background.
9) That should be it!
10) If it all goes horribly wrong and you want Mac OS back, you can use Diskpart in Windows to set the first partition (200MB EFI) active. (Select Disk 0, Select Part 1, Active).
11) Likewise you can put it back to the Windows bootloader by setting partition 3 active.

From other reading I think it may be possible to skip the gtpsync bit completely if you resize the Mac OS partition then create a FAT32 in the empty space. Apparently Disk Utility will automatically create a hybrid GPT/MBR partition table. Then in the Windows 7 setup you'll need to reformat it as NTFS I think.
  (#38) Old
Default I did it, but I did it quite differently... - 06-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Hi everyone,

Well, I went through and tried using this method and everything worked up until a few things. I just decided to go on based on my own knowledge and managed to get OS X and Win 7 working while ignoring a few parts of this guide.

**NOTE: I did a few things differently and I will try to explain what they were, also I don't know if this has already been done yet or not and if it has I apologize for wasting forum space, I just didn't see it posted on here so I figured why not. THIS GUIDE IS NOT GUARANTEED TO DO ANYTHING!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF IT SCREWS SOMETHING UP! All of this could have been nothing more than luck. I am also very tired and had no sleep so I apologize if there are any errors, no matter if they are grammar or technical-based ones.

-----WHAT I AM USING-----
First off, I am using the Chameleon 2.0 bootloader. I am also running on a Dell Mini 10v, so if you are using a Mini 9 you should have no problems doing this. This was all done using an authentic 10.5 Leopard install DVD. I was also running my Leopard install DVD off of my external HDD which had Chameleon and what not installed on it too (to allow it to boot). I STRONGLY suggest you manage to use either a USB flash drive or external HDD like me, to have a backup bootloader on. I also HIGHLY recommend using the Chameleon bootloader as it is both pretty and user friendly, not to mention that it is what I used when I got this working! I hope this helps some people having trouble out.

Anyway, I have used EasyBCD in the past and hated it so I was really against using it for the guide, but if worse came to worse I would if I had to.

Step #1: I did a fresh install of everything when I made this work! I did a GUID dual partition with the Windows partition on the bottom formatted to FAT and obviously used Mac on the top formatted to Extended (Journeled). I went through and installed everything as usual. If you need assistance or further detailed instructions simply follow this up to the Post-Install point, stop there before continuing on: How to Install Mac OS X: DellEFI Method

Step #2: I then booted into my freshly installed Leopard partition using the pre-installed Chameleon bootloader to make sure everything was up and running. Once everything was good, I downloaded, put it on my flash drive and I rebooted.

Step #3: Next, I booted back into my retail Leopard DVD, from here I followed this guide starting at Modify your GUID disk to allow Windows 7 to install:. When I got to this:
./gptsync /dev/disk0
It failed on me, saying it couldn't write to the disk. I did NOT tell me it was read only like some users have experienced, it simply just said it couldn't write to the disk to finalize the table. So having failed that part I simply continued on and rebooted.

Step #4: I kept following this guide, booted up my Windows 7 disc and started the process of installing it. I followed everything on this guide up until the last section labeled: Setup the bootloader to allow OSX to boot properly. Once I got here, I shifted gears and went back and did my Post-Install crap from the other guide (mentioned above). As mentioned, even though the bootloader was running off of the Windows BCD partition at this point, I had Chameleon installed on my external HDD with my Leopard DVD. So I was using this to continue booting into Mac.

**Quick note however, do NOT do this part of the guide when it says so "Restore the 10.5.5 keyboard pref pane". I waited to do that part until after I installed my 10.5.7 update, then I opened DellEFI again and added it then. I also don't know if this is relevant or not but when I went to generate another dsdt.aml file the SECOND time it failed on me, it didn't seem to affect anything though because I was able to boot up fine.

Step #5: Once I was done with all that stuff, I noticed my bootloader was still running off the Windows BCD partition, even though it recognized the Chameleon re-install as the loading "boot" message implies. So I proceeded once again to boot back into Windows 7.

**IMPORTANT: Follow these steps exactly or you could mess something up!!!

Step #6: Now that you are back in Windows 7 again, click on the Start menu button. Type "cmd" without the quotes in the Search box, you should only get one result back. Open cmd.

Step #7: With cmd (Command Prompt) open, type "diskpart" without the quotes and press enter, you will probably have to authenticate the app which will open another cmd window.

Step #8: Once your second cmd window is open, type "list disk" without the quotes and press enter. You should see a list pop up. Usually disk 0 is your main HDD in the computer, unless you have a severely f'd up computer or know of it being different we are gonna use disk 0 for the rest of this.

Step #9: type "select disk 0" without the quotes and press enter, you should get a message telling you disk 0 is now selected. Now type "list partition" without quotes and press enter. You will see a list of all your partitions on the HDD.

Step #10: Search through the partition list until you find the one that you know to be your Mac OS X partition. (Guessing on this part is not recommended! If you need to, get back into your Mac install DVD to make sure of the partition size)

Step #11: Once you have your Mac partition picked out, type "select partition x" without quotes and while changing 'x' to match your Mac partition number, then press enter. It should once again inform you that the partition is selected.

Step #12: Now, with your Mac partition selected, we need to make it the one to boot off of. type "active" without quotes and press enter. It should inform you that whatever partition you chose as the Mac partition is now active. Now close out the cmd window by typing, without quotes "exit".

Step #13: Reboot the computer and cross your fingers. Once it loads, check to see if the bootloader installed on the Mac partition is booting up again, it should now give you the option to boot into OS X or Windows.

That's it! I hope that this helped some people out having the same trouble or just being hateful towards EasyBCD like me . Once more, I apologize if things are out of place or illegible because of my sleepiness. If you have a question or something similar please send me an email at: I would say to PM me on here but I can't guarantee that i'll check it very often. Anyway, I hope this helps!!!

Good luck everyone and good night

UPDATE: I tested this on both Windows 7 RC and with a few versions of Windows XP and it works on all of them. Haven't tested Vista but 7 is heavily based upon it so i 'should' act the same way and still work.

« Question About Mac OSX | Mini 9 won't boot from HD after restore »