General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default OS X Install problems - Mach-0 file has bad magic number - 10-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Hello everyone,

There seem to be a lot of helpful people with a lot of good information on this forum, but I can’t find an answer that solves my problem, so I’m going to ask and hope that someone can help me out. I’ve been using Windows7 on a Dell Mini 10 for a few months, and it was getting increasingly unreliable. I was going to do a reinstall of Windows, but instead I decided to try and Hackintosh the thing.

I’ve been following this guide and have had great success, up until the 10.6.2 update. Upon restarting, I cannot get OSX to launch from the MiniHD, instead getting only this message flashing repeatedly on the screen: “Unable to patch 64bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel.Mach-0 file has bad magic number” So I shutdown the computer and boot from the USB drive I used as the installer; again, MiniHD won’t boot, with the message “Mach-0 file has bad magic number.”

But here’s what’s interesting: after selecting MiniHD and getting the error message, if I immediately arrow over to OSXInstall and hit return, it boots perfectly from MiniHD – the one it just said wouldn’t work. The system starts up without a hitch. I can’t seem to figure out what is different about the USB drive and the internal hard drive that allows it to boot.

I tried using the patched kernel made be Tea discussed here, but all that gave me was an almost-immediate kernel panic screen once the boot process had begun. After using terminal to revert to the original mach_kernel file, it will work via the boot-Chameleon-from-USB method.

I’ve run NetbookInstaller 0.8.4RC1 a few times, with no luck.

I’ve also tried wading through the comments on this thread, and while there seems to be a lot of almost-solutions, none of them seem to actually fix the problem for me.

I feel like I’m very close to a solution, I just can’t seem to put the pieces together. Any info you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

« Are you interested in the new 11" Macbook Air!? | Use External Monitor on OSX »