General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Speedstep Problem on my Asus 1001HA - 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM

OK - So it's not a Dell Mini, but it's a pretty standard N270 10" netbook which is running SL like a champ apart from this one problem.

I've done an NBI install and successfully upgraded to 10.6.4, patched my DSDT and tracked down solutions to all my other difficulties (so I'm not a complete noob) but this one currently has me beat.

The Asus forums at insanelymac have drawn a blank so I thought I'd try hear where one of your guru's can at least educate me if not suggest a solution.

Ok - The problem is very simple. I went with an NBI install using the very latest version (the patched one that resolves the 10.6.4 update problem). According to what I have read here (and at Insanelymac) this should now deliver working speedstep via native apple power management without any other intervention by me.

Well when I run CPU-i it flags the 6 possible p-states for the Atom OK but in status I see that the multiplier never drops from the full speed "x 12" setting. And largely as a result of non-working Speedstep, my 3-cell 2200mAh battery lasts no more than a few mins over the 2hr mark.

What am I doing wrong? I see the latest Chameleon needs a line put in the plist to activate P-states and C-states. I explored all of the package resources for the NBI installer and can't see any obvious extra kexts or changed plist files for the Dell models which I might need to use on my Asus.

The kexts in my Extras/General Extensions folder are all pretty generic;

ElliottForceLegacyRTC (Can I remove this since I've done the RTC fix in my DSDT?)

If for some reason Meklort's tweaks can't work for me, can anyone tell me if VoodooPowerMini is worth trying or should I just knuckle down and start some serious work on my DSDT?

Any advice gratefully received. I really need to get SS working to get me to the 3hr-3h15m mark or I'll have to buy a bigger battery.

(#2) Old
Default OK then - Anyone help with this one? - 10-07-2010, 06:09 PM

Right guys. It's a Dell Forum and different hardware can be a b*tch to troubleshoot. I can dig that.

But can anyone then point me to a detailed explanation of how the new NBI applies it's magic sauce to activate speedstepping on the Mini 9. I have trawled this forum, Meklorts site, Mechdrew's blog, Tea's russian developer blog (Google translate wasn't half bad there), Insanelymac and all of the first 50 or so Google hits and I can't find Jack on this.

I don't know if it's a DSDT based tweak, uses extra SSDT code. I don't know if I need to add DropSSDT=y to my plist, add or delete SMBIOS Resolver or use a custom SMBIOS file identifying my Netbook as a Macbook5,1. I've tried voodoopowermini but even with NullCPU... loade,d it just gives me a continuous KP.

I've confirmed that native power management and the LPC kexts are both loading OK on my current set-up and I've now dumped the varios SSDT.aml files via Linux. What the heck do I do next? huh?

I've said I'm happy to do my homework to fix my own netbook but all of the discussions are very fragmented and hard to follow. Surely someone can at least point me in the right direction to an intelligent tutorial of some description.

Please !
  (#3) Old
Default 10-08-2010, 12:05 AM

I can't help you. But good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« recovery=y does not work?? | Hackintosh: OSX Cannot See Internal HDD »