General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM

No thats not correct. I have a DVD of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (I checked) and an external dvd drive, so I can do a retail install of OSX, however I have no writable cds, so I was wondering if its possible to boot from a usb with netbookinstaller or netbookcd then install OSX from a dvd

Update 1: Acquired a blank dvd and put netbookCD on it, now it boots but seems to freeze at System uptime in nanoseconds 1406919166

Update 2: Tried to boot with -x -v and it appeared to work for a while, still hanging on nanoseconds error

Update 3: Still can't get past the nanoseconds error, however reading all the text it seems to relate to something about sleepenabler or version mis-match between kernal and CPU PN

Update 4: Still no luck, I've tried 3 different boot discs from DellEFI, EmpireEFI and NetbookCD and none are working, I just can't get past the nanoseconds error

I have a Dell Mini 10v, I assumed this would be easy, so what am I missing?
  (#12) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM

NetBookCD is the only one you listed that is supported here, but it hasn't been updated for the newer disc(10.6.3). It was problematic from the start, even with the 10.6.0 disc.

Also, depending on the brand of DVD drive you are using, even if everything else worked fine, it still might not work to install OS X.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#13) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM

It's a Samsung DVD Drive and it does load the boot disc and the Snow Leopard disc, however the problem I am hitting at the moment is, even when I boot with any combination of -V -X -S -F it gets to the "System uptime in nanoseconds" then it hangs.

Could it be something to do with not using a USB drive, all I am doing is booting from NetbookCD and then switching to the OSX cd, then it hangs after attempting to load

UPDATE 1: Managed to get a friend with a macbook to come round tomorrow, so I'll just use his mac to do it, should work fine (I hope) Will post results, and screen shots on the weekend.

UPDATE 2: So he didn't end up coming round because he felt ill. I attempted the USB install via Linux, and got stuck at the nanoseconds error AGAIN! Although I have now figured out why it hasn't been working NBI 8.3 isn't compatible with 10.6.3, and you can only use the latest NBI on a mac.

UPDATE 3: DAMMIT! So my friend came round but Netbook Bootmaker wouldn't work on is Powerbook cos it's not Intel based, hopefully in a weeks time when I get back from Zante I should be able to use his Intel based iMac to finally get OSX on my netbook

UPDATE 4: Finally got a Dell Mini 10V almost fully functional with Snow Leopard 10.6.4, however now I am having Wifi and Sound issues. Any help

« Dell Studio 1558 | My hackintosh lid decal »