General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Noob : Relationship beetween kext in /Extra and in /S/L/E... - 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Hello everyone :

I have been trying for a couple of days to install Snow Leopard with NBI on an unsupported netbook (Samsung NB30) with mixed success.

Right now I have most of the important stuff working with 10.6.4 except WLAN (little hope here) and touchpad.

Anyhow, my question is generic and has to do with how exactly NBI manipulates kexts : as I understand when launching the app and selecting "Install general extensions" it generates the file Extensions.kext in /Extra adding the kexts in the subfolders of /Extra along with those in /System/Library/Extensions (I assume!).

The question is : what is the best way to add/remove kext after executing NBI ?

And in particular if I add new kexts through third party utilities (kext helper/kext utility) or add/remove them manually from /S/L/E will I lose those installed with NBI when the new Extensions.kext is rebuilt ?

If there are "conflicting" (different drivers for the same device) kexts in /Extra and /S/L/E what happens ?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

(#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Generally, /System/Library/Extensions should be viewed as Apples and /Extra/ArchExt (where arch is Mini9 etc) is NBIs. If possible don't muck around in either. Use /Extra/AdditionalExtensions. If you want to replace something from Apple or NBI then remove it from /S/L/E or /E/ArchExt and put your version into /E/AdditionalExtentions. will do the right thing with kexts in AdditionalExtensions and when you upgrade NBI it leaves AdditionalExtentions alone so you'll probably have less repair work to do.

Avoid duplicates in the various places. Only one can be used, I forget what the rules are for selection, but it's always been the wrong one with me.

Avoid when possible using other kext tools as they don't maintain NBIs required cache - use UpdateExtra.

Basically use AdditionalExtentions for your kexts, don't leave duplicates in other locations, and use UpdateExtra to maintain the caches.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« dell mini 10v vs hp mini 110 vs lenovo s10 | is OSX on a dell 1545 possible? »