General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default 10v Mac Install via DVD Drive... easy right? - 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM

I have been trying to hack the dell mini i bought for that purpose since May. Kernel Panics ahoy! i've had all sorts of problems, bad images of SL, downgraded the bios to A04, bought another sandisk thumbdrive and even managed to crash my aging powerbookG4 all in the pursuit. I can get chameleon to work on the 10v but beyond that i crash and burn every time... the furthest and most excited i got was to see the osx screensaver and a infinitely hanging beachball and so decided to take the easy!?! way out and buy a dvd-drive.

I have dvd copy of the Tiger OSX running on my pb and i can see the drive when the 10v has booted into windows but how the flippety flip do i get it to boot off the dvd? it does not show up in bios.

I have searched and searched but to no avail for something i thought there would be plentiful threads.

any help, any response would be most appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Hiya Charley, as a 10v'r who installed off DVD also, I might be able to offer some advice, though my first point would be to take a look at this thread: NetbookCD 0.8.3 Final - Chameleon Bootloader CD for Netbooks

In the first post, there is a link to a guide on how to go about installing with it. I'm not sure from your post if you intend to install Tiger on your 10v (or if the NCD supports Tiger), but I'd recommend Snow Leopard if you have a copy handy.

As to seeing it in your bios, make sure you 'Enable Legacy USB Devices' in bios, and the only USB port that has worked for me was the one directly below the power socket. Not sure why and may just be one of those 'it worked once so now I always do it that way' quirks, like wearing a lucky cap during a baseball game, shrug.

Then when booting hit F12 to bring up the boot menu. Give it a few seconds to register the DVD drive before selecting the USB to boot off.

Hope that helps!

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')
  (#3) Old
Default 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM

thanks for the feedback RabidMax... i've tried every which way but loose regards booting up in this usb that usb and the other one over there... the dvd rom kicks off like its going to appear on the boot menu (f12) but then it never does... when i boot up in windows it shows up as a dvd-rom drive no problem. It was my intention to use the copy of tiger i have because a)i've always used it on my pb and its been great AND b)i know it is a good copy that works as i mentioned previously i crashed my pb and had to reinstall from said disk.
Doing my head in this is... i'll probly end up buying a retail upgrade SL but thats more money on top of the extra thumbdrive and the external dvd i've already invested.
Going to give that thread you linked a good read first...
  (#4) Old
Default 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM

does anyone else have an idea why i can't see the external dvd drive when i'm in the boot menu? i mean it is there but no +sign to signify anything is in it and when i select to boot from it windows from the internal hardrive boots instead?
  (#5) Old
Default 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

I don't know why you can't see your DVD drive, but Tiger will not work on a Dell Mini.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#6) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Especially if it's the CD that came with your Mac.

(#7) Old
Default 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Right ok.... thanks for confirming that Tiger will not work... saved me wasting more time.

I've just ordered a copy of SL from the apple store... i know it won't work on my powerpc and i've got some concerns about not being able to see the dvd drive to boot from BUT if that fails at least i've got a retail copy i can image onto the thumbdrive i bought and try the original stick install method

« Mac OS X on Mem Card | OS X Mini 1010 »