General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Detailed 10.5.6 New Install Type11\boot123v7.7 howto - 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Here's the procedure I used to do a clean install of 10.5.6 using v7.7
1) Download the DellminiBoot123v7.7.iso.zip from http://www.mediafire.com/?4zmmmmgouky and create iso image on CD or DVD
2) Boot from iso (on startup press 0 (zero) and select CD/DVD)
3) At command prompt insert retail Leopard DVD and type 9f, hit return
4) NOTE: May need to power cycle and / or mount / unmount DVD drive to kick start it
5) OS X will start to load and a language selection screen will appear with English highlighted - click the next button
6) On the next screen (OS X install screen) select disk utility from the utilities menu, click the top level drive (14.3Gb Stec), click Partition, for the scheme select 1 partition, click options, select GUID Partition Table, select OK. (Optional, can rename drive name now or anytime after install). Click apply, click partition.
7) Once format is completed quit disk utility to return to installer screen. Press continue, agree to licence, select hard drive, click continue
8) NOTE: A standard install of OS X will take around 11.5GB, leaving around 1.2GB free on a standard 16GB SSD. To free up space select customise on next screen (install summary) and uncheck printer drivers (drivers can be added later as required) & language translations. This will free up over 5Gb.
9) Press install - this will take some time (circa 2 hours to verify DVD and install) - it will also FAIL but don't worry, this is expected.
10) Upon fail, press restart, quit installer, restart (or simply power off and back on)
11) Reboot as per 2 above
12) At boot prompt enter 80 (may need to enter it again if it states default device is 9f) then at boot prompt enter -f
13) NOTE: if the machine freezes restart and repeat step 12
14) Answer the Welcome questions and follow the screen prompts to configure wireless etc
15) Download and install the combo 10.5.6 update from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_ ... mbo_Update
16) Reboot as per step 2 and at the prompt enter 80 (may need to renter this if 9f is default) and hit return. May need to repeat this step and / or use -f
17) From the CD / DVD mounted on the desktop launch the install.dmg. When loaded double click the MiniScript and answer the questions, script will install and upon completion will ask you to reboot
18) NOTE: After answering the questions the following error message may appear: mount_hfs: Invalid Argument (1) If this happens launch Terminal (which can be found in Applications/Utilities) and type the following exactly: diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1 Restart your machine and repeat steps 16 and 17.
19) Machine will reboot, Darwin loader will flash momentarily, grey load screen will appear followed by desktop. Launch install.dmg again, this time double click AboutThisMac and follow screen prompts to install
20) You should now have a fully working system
21) NOTE: Further updates can be installed through software update in the apple menu. Repairing disk permissions is good practice and should be run after every software install or update.
MBP 2.4 C2D 4GB 160GB 10.6.2
Macmin 2.53 C2D 4GB 320GB 10.6.2
Macmini 1.83 CD 1GB 80GB 10.6.2
iPhone 3Gs 32GB; 2*PS3 (320/40GB + PlayTV); Wii; PS2; PSP Phat; PSP3000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Olalla, WA
Re: Detailed 10.5.6 New Install Type11\boot123v7.7 howto - 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Disk Utility, click on the partition below the drive name on the left side, and it'll be an option in the main window.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Olalla, WA
Re: Detailed 10.5.6 New Install Type11\boot123v7.7 howto - 01-08-2009, 05:42 AM
The only time I ever run it is if I'm having some strange glitch, I run that, reboot, and see if it goes away before posting a complaint online.. hehe.. Needless to say, it has done the job for me..
Join Date: Jan 2009
Re: Detailed 10.5.6 New Install Type11\boot123v7.7 howto - 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Just as an info: I did the 10.5.6 update via WLAN and online software upgrade. I did not use the downloaded 10.5.6 combo upgrade. So to avoid problems with upgrading I would recommend to download the upgrade from http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_ ... mbo_Update and install it manually.
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.