General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM

As a longtime Mini9 user (and forum lurker ), I'm also starting to look at replacing my Mini9.

Its good at what it does, and for the time it was amazing, but the screen resolution, and keyboard size are still liabilities. I also wish it could support flash better (primarily hulu and other Over-The-Internet Video).

The HP311 and Asus Eee PC1201N certainly seem to address the screen resolution and keyboard size.

What I'm wondering is:

1) How do the footprints compare with the Mini9? One of the nice parts about the Mini9 was just throwing it in a small shoulder bag. While bigger is nicer (for screen and keyboard), at a certain point it will be less nice (for casual carrying).

2) How is the ION chipset supported? The Mini9 seems to stutter if I output hulu to a 720p TV for instance. Does OSX support ION?

3) Also, the Atom 330 in the 1201N is dual-core. Last time I looked at one of those (for a Nettop), I remember having to disable one of the cores in order to get OSX onto it. Is that still true? (10.5.7 or 8 I think)

4) Battery Life for the HP311 or Asus 1201N? My Mini9 seems to get ~2-3 hours (depending on load and what I'm doing)

5) How upgrade friendly are either of these? (the Mini9 was dead simple for stock things like swapping RAM/SDD/WAN/WWAN).

6) Any other models I should look at or things I missed?

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#12) Old
Default 07-28-2010, 07:22 AM

I put my purchase on hold and have returned to research. At the moment the 1201N is looking like the best bet, however I don't know if it's OSX compatible, and it's possibly a little larger than I was looking for. I think I'll wait for the 1015N to get a release date and then go researching again.

Dell Mini 9, Black, 16GB STEC SSD, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, Webcam, OSX 10.6.2, 77Wh battery, Apple Magic Mouse

Dropbox, keeping my address books, bookmarks and much more synced across multiple machines): Dropbox referral URL

« is OSX on a dell 1545 possible? | Kernel Panic (Web Browsing) »