General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy Is it me...? - 06-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Bought a 10v with Snow Leopard preloaded. Wonderful machine. Recently stupidly Software Updated to 10.6.3. Disaster! Apple logo then kernel panic screen.

My attempts to put things right: Bought 10.6.3 retail, downloaded latest NetBook Bootmaker set up an 8gb USB drive (and also an 8 gb SD card in a USB Reader)

Followed Gizmodo and Mechdrew's guides. Get a grey screen with two HD drives icons, one "Mac OS X Install DVD", one "Tony's Hackintosh" (the name I gave to my Dell 10v). Move arrow to point at "Tony's Hackintosh". Hit return and we're back to Apple logo followed by kernel panic and restart.

Please, what am I doing wrong? I love this machine
  (#2) Old
Default 06-20-2010, 03:01 AM

oh dear sounds like you've fallen victim of the 'miss match cpu KP' Mac lost support for the Atom after OSX.6.1 .. you needed to patch the latest NBI during your update.

this stuff isn't out of the box that's why you really need to read up all the instructions on this resource. so you know what you're doing before you do it.

right so you're in recovery mode (unless your efforts to reinstall OSX6.3 haven't prevented that)

this thread has advice you need

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#3) Old
Default 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

This is also why we discourage buying Minis with OS X preinstalled - you're pretty much guaranteed to run into problems if you haven't gone through the install process yourself, which includes learning about the process.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default Yes its me... - 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM

I accept the gentle rebukes - I should not have tried to shortcut the learning process. Thanks for the steers on what to do next. I am trying to reverse engineer the process I guess. I'll re-post if successful,
TONY 3ts

« Safe mode - not for updates? | Moving Home-Directory to a different Volume »