General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#501) Old
Default 10-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by eplus View Post
Anyone have any idea how to convert the NBI 0.8.4 into img file? i don't own a mac and would need the img file to solve my "kernel panic".

Please help!
Use the same proggie you use for img, when it gives you the where to select file destination type *.iso in the file location hit enter and you will be able to select any iso file.

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.7 l Ubuntu 11.10

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." - Matthew 10:34
  (#502) Old
Default 10-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Success story

Maybe its beginners luck but right now I have a mini9 running 10.6.4 and all patches applied.

I started with a 10.5.7 that someone gave me as a xmas gift last year, fearing not being able to figure out how to fix I didnt upgrade anything, but I have been reading here and there.

Yesterday I made the decision to just go for it...
I installed 10.6 on top of 10.5.7 (after I made a CC from 10.5.7) and it seemed to work fine, that gave me courage to wipe the SSD and start clean.

I used this guide:
Dell Mini 10v Installation via USB and Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew
with this:
eMac PPC 10.5.8 to restore retail 10.6 DVD to 8GB SanDisk USB stick (with U3-didnt delete it) - My mini9 has a 16GB SSD.

MBBM 0.8.4RC1 from that guide didnt work for me (doesn't work with 10.5.7 even though instructions imply it does).

I was stuck at this point and not really wanting to use the non-Mac guide (which at glance looks convoluted), until I found this other thread:
Fresh Install of 10.6.3 from Retail DVD?

jamesbarnhill made a file available for download see #8, which is sort of a manual process to copy MBBM to the 8GB USB 10.6 restore copy.

Once that process was done, I was able to boot from the USB stick and proceed to format the SDD and do a clean install of 10.6 (used same method to install on top of 10.5.7).

Initially I didn't use #67 NBI and encountered the kp you all mention, when I upgraded to 10.6.4.
Since it was a fresh install I just wiped the SDD and redid 10.6 install from the USB stick, then installed/ran #67 NBI, then apply the 10.6.4 combo updated I had downloaded a few months ago, and for good measure ran #67 NBI again and rebooted.
There is was 10.6.4 running in the mini9 - no different as any other OS install I have done for the PC, seems everything worked.

Last thing I did was to apply the SU via download one by one and reboot each time, as I was fearing it may fail at some point and wanted to be able to identify which actual upgrade item failed, but none did (latest iTunes/Safari installed).

Now I just need to figure out how to backup what I currently have, before I venture to install the iPhone SDK.

Any ideas on backups? do I use timemachine to do a full backup, and if system is hosed for some reason after SDK install I can just use my usb stick to reload 10.6 and then have timemachine restore the backup (so I can have 10.6.4 plus updates)?

Thanks for all the info.

General Note: I think it would help all people reading these forums in general if each of you either add your setup to your sig file or include system detail in your posts. Half the time, reading that X didnt work makes us all fearful of the process but the reality is we do not even know what system you have, or what custom changes you did to it before the upgrade (some of you do post details but others dont).

White Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A05 | 2G RAM | 16GB SSD | NIB 20100616212351 | USB ExtDrv 250GB
eMac G4 | OS X 10.5.8 | 1G RAM
  (#503) Old
Default 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM

this worked for me as well.

Originally Posted by nobo_mini View Post
Nothing really new to add. Updated successfully, with everything appearing to work properly, using the following steps:
  1. Downloaded new NBI from and ran it.
  2. Downloaded from Apple website and installed 10.6.4 non-combo update. DID NOT CLICK REBOOT.
  3. Reran the new NBI.
  4. Clicked Reboot on update.

Like I said, so far, so good: sleep, battery meter, audio all working.

15.4 Powerbook OS X 10.6.5
15.4 Powerbook G4 OS X 10.4.10
13 black Macbook OS X 10.6.3
Mac Mini OS X 10.6.5
Duo230 OS 9.1
White Dell Mini 9 OS X 10.6.4
Blue EEEPc 1810 WinXP/OSX 10.6.3
  (#504) Old
Default Kernel Panic - 10-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Have searched the entire thread for a solution, but didn't find a workable one. If anyone can help, PLEASE do. I am in MAJOR need for help.

1. Loaded SL 10.6.4 combo update without taking care of NBI first (had perfectly fine 10.6.2 running before [on 10v using file vault]). I hackintoshed my 10v in April with the latest NBI

2. Now, on boot up,receiving kernel panic error (version mismatch)

3. recovery=y yields no results and just brings me back to a fresh page of kernel panic

I am doing volunteer work in Cambodia and did not bring my original version of SL 10.6.2 with me. There also are no stores here from which I can get a copy.

I am in need for two options:

a) get any SL version working on my 10v, or
b) find a way to at least retrieve/move files from the hard drive.

Any help will be much appreciated.

(#505) Old
Default Problem after 10.6.4 - 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM

sorry for my bad english and I hope someone understand the problems:
I have the mini dell inspirion 1011 and I installed snow leopard 10.6. (retail version)
After the successfull installation (it works fine) I want to update to 10.6.4. I installed the Netbookinstaller 0.8.4RC1 on the dellmini-harddisk (not from the initial usb-stick) and generate on the dell mini the DSDT.aml-File. Than I download the MacOs update 10.6.4 combo and installed it on the dell mini. After installation is finished I restarted the netbook.
At first I see the sign of the Netbookinstaller perhaps 6 minutes, than the software try to start again but for more than 6 hour I see only the grey display with the apple and I see only the spinnnig wheel.

I donĀ“t understand this and I donĀ“t know what I can do.

Can someone help me?
  (#506) Old
Default 10-14-2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by osxq View Post
Success story
Any ideas on backups? .
Check this out it may be what you are looking for:
How I made a bootable clone flash drive for my mini

I worry if everyone followed your General Note, this would be a long list of success stories - which, however, would be much more encouraging than reading of everyone's failures. Just remember, when it works, many people don't post - it's more often when trouble occurs that the posts are made.

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled

Last edited by JnC; 07-06-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: type
  (#507) Old
Default 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi, I just updated my Dell Mini 9 from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 first installing the NBI from the first post of this thread. My computer restarted and now I'm at the NBI logo screen and the circle is spinning but I've been at this screen for about 30 minutes and nothings happening. How long does it usually take? And is there any remedy for this? I will let it sit overnight and hopefully it will be working when I wake up

(#508) Old
Default Is it worth upgrading to 10.6.4? - 10-18-2010, 04:05 AM

Hi All,

I'm on 10.6.2 and happy with it. It seems with the latest Netbookinstaller file, an upgrade to 10.6.4 is now relatively safe.

When I did the upgrade to 10.6.2, I also changed my boot-up images (dual boot XP/Mac OS X).

Does running the latest Netbookinstaller and 10.6.4 upgrade wipe out/reset my boot-up images?

And the bigger question: Is the upgrade to 10.6.4 really worth it over 10.6.2? Part of me just wants to stay put and leave well enough alone, but if this upgrade will leave all my stuff alone and the upgrade to 10.6.4 adds something significant, then I guess I'll go for it.

(#509) Old
Default 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM

I updated to 10.6.4 without any problems it was the security updates and the graphics update that killed my Snow Leopard. Reinstalling SL now, this time, not going to bother doing the updates once on 10.6.4
  (#510) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to haroldross
Default 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM

This morning I updated my Dell Mini 10v from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. This was probably the easiest update yet. I installed and ran the NBI from post 67 and then I ran the 10.6.4 update that I downloaded from Apple last night. I then re-ran the NBI (I don't know if that was necessary or not) and finally reboot my Mini and 10 minutes later it was booted and running 10.6.4.

My previous updated 10.6.1 to 10.6.3 was pretty smooth but the reboot process took about an hour.

The only thing that is not working is the time calculation for the battery. The percentage calculation is fine. Camera, microphone, audio, wireless, and multimedia keys are working fine.

Thanks to everyone here!

Dell Mini 10v
1 Gb RAM
250 Gb OCZ SSD drive

« Trouble making a bootable usb flash drive | Trouble installing Max OS X to Mini 10 »