General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Mini 9 (8Gb) 10.6.2 -> 10.6.3 -> 10.6.4 - 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I took my Mini 9 (8Gb) from 10.6.2 to the latest this weekend. Here are a couple of notes:
1) I had previously applied the 0.8.4RC1 version of netbookinstaller. Knowing that speedstepping would no longer require a 3rd party driver I had deleted VoodooPower.kext from /Extra/AdditionalExtensions, updated extensions and restarted.
2) I have a SD card integrated with my file system per the attached guide:
Mounting a SDHC card to /Users via fstab
3) Even with /Users and /Applications running off the SD card, I could not get the combo update to run against my 8Gb drive (not enough space). So I had to download the 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 updates individually. It took two tries to get the 10.6.3 update to aply. I don't know why but the first update hung at about 80%, after a reboot it ran through fine.
4) After rebooting, I saw NBI running right away to reapply patches, but the system would not boot. I booted again with the -v option and noticed that IOBluetoothFamily.kext was missing a dependency. I have a 3rd party bluetooth module from eBay, and I had previously patched this file using the Bluetooth Terminal Mod:
Bluetooth Terminal Mod
5) Turns out I had placed a patched copy of this file in the /Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder and it would not run under 10.6.3. I deleted the copy of this file, ran UpdateExtensions and restarted successfully.
6) Once I got back into the desktop I ran the 10.6.4 update. This one ran much much faster than 10.6.3. After a reboot, NBI patched things again automatically and the system came up. I noticed that after the reboot I had no Wifi and that the strings in the wifi menu were messed up. Shortly after, I also had a situation where the system completely hung as I tried to debug.
7) I rebooted into safe mode (recovery=y), reran NBI and rebooted to the same issues.
8) I rebooted to safe mode again, but this time using OSX86Tools I repaired permissions and cleared the various caches (extensions etc). After the jobs completed I rebooted again and things seemed to be working fine.
9) Last step was to reapply the Bluetooth Terminal Mod, run UpdateExtensions and reboot.
I haven't had much time to test since completing everything, but the system seems very stable now. Sleep and Sound are both working (no internal mic as expected).
Join Date: Mar 2009
Can't get bluetooth hack to work in 10.6.4 - 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I can't get the bluetooth hack to work in 10.6.4! I get kernel panics once the hack is complete when I try to reboot.
10.6.3 is no problem, only 10.6.4 !!!
How did you do it?
BTW, I have a mini9.............
Join Date: Mar 2010
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
Join Date: Apr 2009
06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I just installed NBI, not the upgrade yet, and rebooted.
I have Mini9. Thanks for answers in advance
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.