General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#201) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 03:04 AM

I have been following this thread since day one and decided to give the update a go. Followed the basic instructions and used the modified netbookinstaller. However I get the issue presented in post #131 in which the grey apple appears and beings to load, then an image of a circle with a line though it comes up.

I have booted up in recovery=y mood and tried rerunning netbookinstaller and disk utilities several times in vain. Finally I figured I would do a clean install. However I get a kernal panic (unsupported cpu) trying to boot to the installer. I have tried both the 6.0 and 6.3 install disks with both 0.8.4 and 0.8.4. I would try and run the combo update again however the link from apple is dead.

Any help would be great, All I can think to do now would be to try and wipe the disk with the original install disks but seeing how I can still boot to recovery mode I am hesitant.

Dell mini 9, 16 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, Bios A04
  (#202) Old
Default Unable to install Mac OS from retail disk - 06-22-2010, 07:18 AM

I had Mac OS 10.6.3 installed on my 10v then decided to give Windows 7 a try (didn't like it). So thought I'd reinstall Mac OS from my retail disk.
Created the USB drive Ok but when trying to add Netbookmaker .84 RC1 to the USB using my mac mini, running the new 10.6.4, the additional files Netbookmaker adds to the USB drive no longer works.
Actually the files are added but in the final part of the installation 'cleaning up', it deletes the files its just added from the USB drive!
Anyone else found this?
  (#203) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Just upgraded with installing the new NBI before. Re-booted and works fine...except still noisy speakers when plugging in headphones...

Dell Mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB SSD | 16GB SD | 10.6.7
  (#204) Old
Default Can't find recovery - 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Hello to everyone

I did a huge mistake and I updated the software on my 10v by a mistake!
Now I'm in panic but the worst thing is that my Dell can't find recovery after doing all the recovery things! I'm newbie so any help woud be great! Thanks for your time
  (#205) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM

I have a 10v running 10.6.3 that I'd like to upgrade to 10.6.4. For a while it worked perfectly but about three weeks ago the sound stopped working and a dozen+ reboots haven't fixed it. I've tried running NBI with the default options (8.4RC1 and the new, minor update) but each time I do I get the Apple logo with the cross-out circle after 2 minutes and I never see the NBI logo. Booting with a '-x' gets me into safe mode and running NBI works fine to restore normal booting but I still never see the NBI logo and the reboot only takes 2 minutes, not 10. I don't think NBI is actually running right.

I want to upgrade to 10.6.4 but I'm afraid that with NBI not working completely it will fail. I've moved the ATI and nVidia kexts out of /S/L/E, saving about 75MB but still no joy.

The machine is stock other than having an upgrade to 2GB of RAM: 160GB HDD, Bluetooth module (which works fine and is actually handling this tethered connection courtesy of my Blackberry and AT&T).

Any ideas or suggestions? I love my Hackintoshed and I can't thank Meklort enough. Those of you who agree I suggest you do what I did: send the guy a couple of bucks. He's certainly earned it

(#206) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM

This is what I did :
1. Install the latest version of NBI 0.8.4 RC1 (in page 7)
2. Install the Software Update 10.6.4 downloadeed from Apple website (not the Combo Update)
3. Restart, wait for NBI to complete.
4. Repair disk permission
Everything works, I didn't remove ATI and nBidia kexts at all. This update save me 30s boot time and sound, wifi works at the first time. Thank Meklort and everyone.
  (#207) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I installed the software update for 10.6.4 and thereafter had a kernel panic upon reboot. I rebooted with 'recovery=y', deleted some of the unrequired kext files and then re-ran NBI 0.8.4 RC1 and now everything works fine. A very big thank you to everyone for all of the hard work and suggestions on this forum.
  (#208) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM

os X 10.6.0 to 10.6.4

heres what i did:

1.reboot, F2 into the BIOS, disable USB legacy, disable USB wake (just in case)
2.downloaded meklort #67 NBI merklot #67 NBI (in options selected fix bluetooth) software update, selected only combo update a restart question, hit restart now

after 30min process was done
no sound, no trackpad, no blootooth
run meklort #67 NBI again (in options selected fix bluetooth)

sound ok, trackpad ok, no bluetooth

everything else works, thanks merklot and all mydellmini members
  (#209) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Used #67 to install, that worked... Then I did a disk permissions run in Disk utility and a reboot, the screen froze at the apple I let it go for 6 hours. I wanted to make sure it didn't just "need time." Then I did a boot with recovery=y, same thing. Tried a an external HHD with install disk but now I have a blank screen, nothing. Won't even go to the dell symbol. I can hear the HD spin but nothing happens.

I even tried entering my password as some have suggested, but still nothing.

(#210) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by HTH View Post
I (thought I'd) reported that rerunning the installer got my battery indicator back. It did that day, but it's gone again today.
And then drained my battery that night. Recharged today, and indicator is back again. What the hell?

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.6 | NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 | A04 BIOS | 16 GB SSD | 1 TB HDD attached | BT | 2 GB RAM | 8-cell battery | DisplayLink 1.5 | Apple Wireless Keyboard | Apple Magic Trackpad | Insomnia

« Trouble making a bootable usb flash drive | Trouble installing Max OS X to Mini 10 »