General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Unable to patch 64bit kernel.Please use arch=i386 to use 10.6.2 or newer kernel.ERROR - 06-05-2010, 04:39 AM

Hi everyone.
I have a problem booting my SL 10.6.3 installation USB drive. I know that I have to use NBI 084. When I boot my DELL it starts with 2 time windmill and I can see gray screen with error.
Unable to patch 64bit kernel.Please use arch=i386 to use 10.6.2 or newer kernel.Cant find mach_kernel

Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance....
  (#2) Old
Default 06-05-2010, 08:43 AM

any ideas?
  (#3) Old
Default 12-22-2010, 04:17 AM

I am having the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
  (#4) Old
Default Possible Solution - 01-01-2011, 01:31 AM

I had this problem too. I noticed it only happened when I had an NTFS-formatted hard drive. I ended up creating a bootable flash drive with the PartedMagic Linux distribution. (Download the Linux universal USB installer here, select PartedMagic to create the bootable USB drive.)
Once you're in PartedMagic, open up the Partition Editor (GParted). If you dont mind losing your data, you can just format your NTFS partition to something else, or delete it. Or, if you want to keep your NTFS partition, right-click the partition, manage flags, then select "hidden," so that no NTFS partition is detected.
I know this worked for me. I do not know the nature of the " Unable to patch 64bit kernel" error, so I can not be sure it will work for you. Worth a shot though.

My specs: Dell Mini 10v, A04 BIOS, OS X 10.6.3, NBI 084
  (#5) Old
Default 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM

I partitioned my hdd to hfs+ and am still getting the original poster's error message. I used gparted on a usb drive. I've been trying to get this to work for 3 days now with no luck on my dell mini 10
  (#6) Old
Default 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM

I've just been having the same issue.
don't know what it's really all about, but I deleted the second partition, expanded the C: partition (I'm trying to do an XP dual boot, which I've done before w/ earlier software, having a pain of it this time around).

In any case, getting rid of that second partition altogether has done the trick for me.
I'll go ahead and repartition the drive now.

Anyway, this issue first turned up after a failed install, so i'm guessing there was some change to the second partition at that point that the bootloader didn't like.

for what it's worth, i hope that'll help.

as stated above, that did it for me. (i did use gparted, by the way), as far as i could figure, the bootloader was trying to boot from the damaged partition. reformatting it was not enough. deleting it completely did the trick. like i said above, i went as far as expanding the windows partition to cover the entire drive. and then shrank the windows partition back and added an entirely new partition for OS X.

Alls well.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link:
  (#7) Old
Default 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM

I'm having the same issue on a Dell mini 10 - don't think it is a 10v (it has HDMI)

Any other suggestions?

I formatted the drive with copywipe - then saw on another thread the suggestion of booting to a windows disk and formatting the drive. When I booted to the windows disk the drive was already a blank partition. I created a partition using the windows CD and this also didn't help.

Just get the constant flashing message 'unable to patch 64bit Kernel'

I have checked bios options. I notice this has the A07 bios installed - is that a problem?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Yup - can confirm it works fine on 10v, not on this Dell mini 10 (inspiron 1010)

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Ah - now found that because it has a Z series processor it is not compatible with Mac! Quite funny that it works fine on my now becoming ancient Mini 9! Oh well, its not my mini 10!
  (#8) Old
Default 10-25-2011, 04:33 AM

I'm experiencing this on a Dell Mini 1012 with BIOS A10; can anyone help?

« what's new (been gone a year-ish) | Has anyone tried installing OSX on a Duo? »