General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 05-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Hey, hack nothacker! Warming my crotch -- that's the Mini's job.
  (#12) Old
Default 05-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Hey, why did you guys stop? This was a total popcorn thread!
  (#13) Old
Default 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM

As a 20+ veteran of these 'OS wars', I have to say that the war is pretty much over. There is no clear winner, no one came out on top, and I'm thankful for it.

Windows is in its best incarnation of all time, which is to be expected. They've worked it to death to get it to work well. Windows systems tend to be cheaper, and because of that they have better overall software support. Gaming is as good as the money you put into the system. Windows systems are somewhat more customizable. Windows systems are easier to tinker with, fiddle with, and allow the user to choose exactly what their environment looks like, how it works, and what it can do. Custom is the word. Get the job done your way, with your tools, on your terms.

Macs work. Tinkering almost never required and not encouraged. Software is available to do anything that you want, but there isn't quite the variety, and for good reason. Its not needed. The software works as expected and well. There's something magical about how well macs work. They are like having the right tool that works every time. Less learning curve. Users don't need to be computer experts to figure them out. Gaming is good, but not quite as important, because the Mac is a tool. Macs are for people who want to get the job done efficiently. They are beautiful, clean, simple.

Linux is like that kid who's always trying to prove he's just as good as the rest of the bigger kids. It does work, though typically it requires a more evolved user to accomplish and appreciate it. Yes, you can do almost everything with a linux system as you can with the others, but you'll have to settle for something a little simpler, something less polished, and you'll just have to accept that you wont have to pay for it. Gaming is there, but more difficult to get working well, and not as robust as a good-old windows machine. Developed by people who do it for the love. A tinker-ers dream. Getting it working like you want is a proud moment.

What do you want to do with your computer? Is it just a tool? Is it a lifestyle?
Are you all about your computer being completely different than everyone else? Is it a fashion accessory? Do you have something to prove? DO you want to build something custom yourself?

<shrugs> I love my triple boot latitude netbook, because it allows me all 3 OS's and I can appreciate them all.
  (#14) Old
Default 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Xajuran, you're soooo right, esp. about the lifestyle and personality. I think the engineering/technophile mindset was (is?) most often seen with Windows machines, the creative/artistic with Macs, and the exploring/venturing with Linux.

The use in the respective industries tended to reflect that: e.g., publishing industries used to be mostly on Macs, and secret services or IT departments in universities loved Linux (because of the open source, for security and the possibility to compile *exactly* what you needed).

g., with the multiple identity, currently running XP, SL, Ubuntu on the M9.

« Garage band audio quality and audio preview | NBI 0.8.3 Broke Leopard Install... »