General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Extract OS X from install disk? - 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Back when Snow Leopard came out, I bought the DVD and proceeded to create a install SD card for the 10v. However, I am pretty unorganized and must have misplaced the original copy. I've searched all over and can't find it in the original packaging or any of my spindles

So, I was wondering if it is possible to undo the modifications (Netbook maker I think?) and extract just a copy of the original disk from the SD card i prepared. Or will I have to buy another disk from apple?

(#2) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Interesting question...

I don't think netbook maker actually makes any changes to the original install files. From what I've been able to gather, it just adds some extra files (and makes them hidden). I'm booting from my usb flash drive on my Mac Pro. No problem with startup, and the install screen is up. This should mean the following:

You can restore from the flash drive back to a DVD (you'll need a dual layered DVD), using the same method you used when you prepped your flash drive-- only a bit in reverse, i suppose. The resulting DVD should be good to boot from, and use to install OS X.

Hope that does it for you. I imagine you just want to free up your flash drive.... otherwise, there's really no need for you to put the files back on DVD, as your flash drive will suffice for any fresh installs and what not.

EDIT: I was curious, so here's what I did: I ran a brand new install to an available drive on my Mac Pro off of my usb flash drive (the one I used on my 10v). Everything went smoothly, no extras, no issues. I half expected the NetbookInstaller app to be in my applications folder, but it's not there. Anyway, this confirms my original post. If you still want a DVD, just use the restore function in Disk Utility.

(#3) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM

wow!! thanks for going to all the trouble and figuring things out for me.
i really appreciate it! thanks for the good news

« DELL Inspiron 13Z... anyone? | Why Did you Install OS X? Honest question. »