General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy Transmission / torrents freezing on 10v - 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Hey all, couldn't find a thread on this so thought I'd post. [I should point out that I do freelance video work and transmit my files using torrents, so let it be known that this is NOT a thread asking for pirating help.]

I just got my 10v yesterday (fantastic), and everything seems to be cool -- except for Transmission / torrents. After I start a torrent, it connects and downloads fine for a couple minutes, then the app goes into "not responding" mode and I have to force quit. The crash doesn't appear to interfere with other software. Anyone know what's up?

For reference, I have a Dell 10v running 10.6.2 with 2GB RAM. Transmission is on version 1.93.

Thanks for your help!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM

I've had a similar problem with Transmission a long time ago on my mini9. It occurred when I direct dloads to the SD card instead of the internal SSD. I tried dloading to an external USB disk and had the same problem.

I moved to uTorrent (I use it on Windows and find it lean and powerful). However, the Mac version was a bit lacking at that time, but it solved the freezing.

uTorrent is in Beta now and it's stable. Still not as powerful as the Windows version though (but it's coming along nicely).

Why don't you give it a try:
Torrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

Good luck
  (#3) Old
Default 05-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Hey wst, thanks for the recommend, I'll check it out. I did try a couple things that seem to have fixed my Transmission issue in the meantime, though:

1. I turned off "show upload / download stats on the dock icon"
2. I limited the total number of global peers to around 60

It's possible these changes have nothing to do with my problem seemingly going away, but I was able to finish my torrents just fine afterwards.

Works for now!

10v, torrent, torrents, transmission

« Hackintoshable Tablet | midi USB help »