General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Screen rotation.... - 01-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Hello Type11 and everybody else doing a great job!

First let me congratulate you with a job well done. By reading and using your guides, tips and tool even I have managed to get mac os x up and running on my recently delivered Dell Mini. I am sure everybody agrees when I say this little machine rocks in combination with Mac OS.
There is one major 'but' in my case. The reason why I looked into getting one of these little wonders was to use it as an alternative eBook reader and this would mean having the ability to rotate the screen. Of course I figured out that this was only natively supported on ATI cards well after actually ordering the Mini. I know under Windows (yuck!) this can be done quite easily.
So question (finally?).... Does anybody know how to force a screen rotation unto the Dell running OS and is there any chance this feature will be supported in the near future? Links to ... t3990.html and certainly look promising.

Thanks everybody for the help and keep up the good work!
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Screen rotation.... - 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

If your eBooks are PDF files that you are viewing with "Preview", you can pretty easily tell it to rotate the entire document. If they are text files or some other format, you may not be able to do it so easily. Either way, I'd be looking for a software solution rather than driver. Might get you what you want sooner and more easily.
I know one guy had wanted to be able to rotate his screen a full 180degrees so he could mount the mini9 to the roof of his car.. In his case it was just simpler to remove the LCD, flip it over, and then put the lid back together.. heh..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Screen rotation.... - 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Yep, Preview -> Tools -> Rotate Left

There's no "Full Screen" option, but View -> Slideshow works for this purpose.
Just click the "Fit to Screen" button (the one with all a pic of a square and four arrows).

You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll through pages. Nifty!
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Screen rotation.... - 01-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks everybody, it works as advertised and is certainly good enough for my needs....

(#5) Old
Send a message via ICQ to kancept Send a message via AIM to kancept Send a message via Yahoo to kancept
Default Re: Screen rotation.... - 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM

I was gonna say you could rotate in screen prefs, but I notice it's not available on our Mini9s as an option as it is on my laptop (NVidia card). I also see Brightness is missing as well.

I use a Dell Mini9 with OS X, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 802.11n Airport card, and IrDA.

My IrDA Mod...

« Question about Time Machine | Upgrading SSD - will a bootable clone work? »