General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to HotDog
Default Caffeine 1.1.1 jitters - 04-21-2010, 03:14 PM

I'm one of the lucky ones because my SW updates all seem to go so smoothly (knock on wood), and I've had a bunch of DM 9s and 10Vs to work on. Last weekend I tackled an overdue update on my kid's 10-V, "Ice Blue," and had my first really sour experience. Mind you, I was going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 to All was great until that final reboot, the one where we all hope to say, "Ahhh, thank goodness we're back in business" (I know you say that . . .). Ultimately there was the OS X splash background, but no dock, no task bar, and no desktop icons. The only semblance of normalcy was a faint coffee cup where the task bar should be; that would be the icon for Caffeine 1.1.1. I thought, hmmmm.

I really like Caffeine. Click the coffee cup and the mini doesn't go to sleep so it will never dim when doing protracted work. A little hard on battery life, but it sure makes heavy work more tolerable. I also have it on my MBPs, my MacMinis, etc., with no problems at all, but on the Dell Mini 10-V, I was curious.

Tried to replicate this with another update to a [former] friend's machine and, voila, same problem that I had with Ice Blue. Methinks there is something about Caffeine (that is listed in the Login Items) that causes this 11th hour update problem.

Don't get me wrong, this is only a hypothesis, but one that merits consideration when upgrading your OS. Perahaps just removing it temporarily from your Login Items in System Preferences --> Accounts might provide a small measure of caution and give your your day back from a reinstall.

Ciao Mein

[ Dell Mini 9 | Black | A04 | NBI 20100616212351 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSD | BT | 1.3MP | WiFi ]
[ Dan-O-Cam : ]

« Amazon: 10v + OSX = frequently bought together | 9 gone, 10v gone, what to buy? »