General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default 10.6.3 Bluetooth On - Use Terminal Mod - 04-11-2010, 09:11 AM

For those people who have bluetooth on all the time after upgrading to 10.6.3 using NBI 0.8.4 RC1 you can fix it using the Bluetooth terminal mod from the FAQ:
Bluetooth Terminal Mod

I did this on my Mini 9 and can turn bluetooth on and off again in 10.6.3.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Can you post your vendor and product ID, either hex or decimal? I've tried this method too, but without success. Thanks in advance
  (#3) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM

My Mini9 matches the vendor and product ids that were posted in the BT terminal mod.
I checked in the about this Mac dialog in case something had changed, but they hadn't.

I did remove the Extensions.mkext and did an UpdateExtensions before rebooting. Perhaps you missed this out?
  (#4) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM

I confirm that it's working. Remove Extensions.mkext and run UpdateExtra did the trick. :-))) Thanks shawnf
  (#5) Old
Default Extensions.mkext - 04-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Extensions.mkext is stored in /System/Library/Caches/ in Snow Leopard, it was stored in /System/Library in Leopard. NBI seems to know this and update both locations. The prescribed way to update the cache on Apple hardware is to simply touch /System/Library/Extensions, deleting the file has no effect. Of course you still need to run on a Dell Mini and that's probably all you need to do.

MINI Cooper | 1.3L | 110 HP | 5 Spd | Sunroof
Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.3 | 2 GB | 32 GB SSD
  (#6) Old
Default 04-19-2010, 03:30 PM

I used Textwrangler to change the file - as the editor in Terminal is so poor.

Anyway, edit the file with the changes and then run UpdateExtra and all is fine - well done all.

PS - see is someone can solve the wake from sleep issue on a Mini9 - they'd get a couple of virtual pints from me!
  (#7) Old
Default 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I was following the thread to edit the Info.plist and I edited the wrong device id.

Can someone provide the device ID and prod ID for the following:

<key>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController </key>

I know, i know, I should have saved the info.plist prior to editing and saving.

Also, I seem to notice that everytime i do a search for BT devices the devices window under BT preferences gets filled up with phantom devices. Why is this happening? Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch in advance..
  (#8) Old
Default Unknown devices in Bluetooth System preferences - 04-21-2010, 06:13 AM

Ok Found the info and corrected my errors. Thanks to this forum again

I found this strange phenomena that whenever the BT is turned OFF and ON again via the icon on the status bar, the BT devices under preferences gets filled with unknown devices. This seems to slow down my BT mouse and keyboard detection. I have deleted the "unknown devices" but after turning OFF > ON again the devices are populated again.

Has anyone encountered such a situation?

Help anyone?
  (#9) Old
Default 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM

same thing here. have unknown devices in system prefs too. for me it doesn't matter. don't use mouse or keyboard. it just was important to me, to be able to turn off bt by menuitem.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

strange thing, i had to edit <key>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController </key>.
before i edited <key>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController 37A</key> (the same, what was told in the mod), but it didn't work (error on

to JayW: vendorid=2652 productid=8448
  (#10) Old
Default 06-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Guys, I have bought from eBay a Broadcom Bluetooth chip and manually installed it on my Dell 10v (1011). When booted Snow Leopard 10.6.2 the device was detected correctly and I could enable/disable it (turn on/off). Indeed, since 10.6.3 I cannot do that.

But did anyone notice that the driver loaded here, in SL, is not the Broadcom driver but Apple's instead? In Termina, if you write:

kextstat | grep -i bluetooth

you will most certainly get a reply:
DellMini:~ Konsti$ kextstat | grep -i bluetooth
  102    1 0x45fb4000 0x3d000    0x3c000 (2.3.1f4) <7 5 4 3 1>
  103    0 0x45efa000 0xb000      0xa000 (2.3.1f4) <102 67 7 5 4 3>
  107    0 0x45faa000 0x9000      0x8000 (2.3.1f4) <106 7 5 4 3 1>
which means that the Leopard method of Terminal editing the Broadcom driver's Info.plist is not really working!

I entered /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents and made a safe copy of the original Info.plist file. Then, with sudo nano Info.plist I added an extra section after EricssonROK101 for our Broadcom chip, namely:
But that still didn't work. Can anyone also try this and let us know? Someone preferrably with Terminal and advanced knowledge

My device (from System Profiler > USB) is Product ID 688 (0x02b0) and Vendor ID 16700 (0x413c). The values needed are of decimal type.

Obviously, after saving this info/section in Info.plist, I rebooted the Mini and flushed cache by selecting "Ignore Caches" (and verbose) on Chameleon boot screen. This made sure the drivers were refreshed.

I then also tried to re-install Meklort's NBI 0.8.4 RC1 bluetooth fix, rebooted, no chance.

Anyone that wants to spend some more time on this, or has any ideas, is very welcome! Cheers.

« on-line gaming or LAN gaming with 10v | Working USB Boot Disk (Chameleon) »