General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Trouble installing - RTC error - 12-31-2008, 05:48 AM

I've been lurking in the forums while waiting for my Dell Mini to arrive, and when it finally did today, I tried to install using Type11's method. When I booted with v.7 of the Type11 boot iso, and then a copy of the retail Leopard (10.5.5) DVD that I have from a new Macbook Pro, it seemed to boot up, but would then give me a black box that told me I had to restart.

When I booted with -v, the last line was "RTC: registerInterrupt() failed e00002df" before a panic and then a backtrace.

Not knowing what was wrong, I decided to install Leopard the way I did on my desktop Atom 330, by installing it from a working version of Leopard. I booted up my desktop Atom's hard drive (running 10.5.5 using the chameleon-dfe method with extensions in /Extra) as an external drive on the Mini, and it started up *just fine.* From there, I formatted the SSD as GUID and I ran OSinstall.mkpg from the same retail DVD (I had made an image earlier). It installed the files onto the SSD just fine, it seemed.

So then I tried booting the SSD from v.7 of the boot iso and still I got the same RTC error and panic. Darn.

So then I tried v.6 of the boot iso, and I still get the error. I've also tried fussing w/ BIOS settings (I'm on version A00 still, but I read that that doesn't matter), but still no luck. Finally, I even inserted an old boot 132 iso I had made for some other install, and I still get an RTC error.

I tried booting -x, same error.

I have no idea what's wrong. I have done very nearly the same install on my desktop Atom and it worked fine. The only thing I can think of is that I used a new Macbook Pro 10.5.5 installation dvd this time (last time I used an older version). Is that a problem?

I think I followed the relevant directions, but I'm no whiz at this stuff...I'd really appreciate any help...

Thanks for this great forum, and thanks in advance for any help!
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Trouble installing - RTC error - 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM

Are you certain that's a retail copy of Leopard? Apple usually sends a disc that is hardware specific with a new machine, to prevent people from using it on their other machines, or just plain reselling it on eBay..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Trouble installing - RTC error - 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Thanks, that's probably it. I didn't know it didn't count as retail. oops

I did manage to get it working by using chameleon and replacing appleRTC.kext. Gotta try with another Leopard disk I guess... :|
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to jeffburg
Default Re: Trouble installing - RTC error - 12-31-2008, 04:09 PM

those customer leopard discs will usually still boot, they just check what system you are running once you get to the installer. this sounds like an issue with the v7 being incompatible with leopard older than 10.5.6. try booting from an old boot132 cd and see if that helps. if its not a retail disc you still won't be able to install but you should at least boot to a message that says you can't install OS X on this computer.

Mini9 Black/32GB RunCore/1GB/BT/Leopard
2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/320GB/4GB/Leopard
1.83GHz White iMac/150GB/1.5GB/Leopard Server
733MHz PowerMac G4 40GB/512MB/Tiger Server
500MHz PowerBook G3 40GB/1GB/Tiger
25MHz NeXT Cube 750MB/16MB/NeXTSTEP 3.3

« How to put XP back on Mini after an OSX install? | No BootCamp on my Mini? »