General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Can I hackintosh my 10v without a Mac desktop/laptop? - 04-04-2010, 12:55 AM

I just got my 10v and I'm also just looking into how to put OS X on it. My first question is: can I do it even if I do not have access to a Mac desktop or laptop? I do have a box running Ubuntu, if that helps. (I used the Ubuntu box a while ago to prepare a USB boot drive to hack my Apple TV, back when this could not easily be done under Windows.)

Failing that, how recent must the Mac be? I do occasionally have access to a pretty old OS X machine (I think it's a pre-Intel chips, and might be the very first release of OS X.) Would this work, or does it have to be more recent?

(#2) Old
Default 04-04-2010, 01:47 AM

Yes, you can via mechdrew's install method #2.

The OSX machine must be intel-based.

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | NBI 0.8.3 Final - Accessible system
  (#3) Old
Default 04-04-2010, 02:08 AM

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that guide before; I'll read it over.
  (#4) Old
Default 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM

When I first got my Mini 9, I managed to use my old iMac G4 (PowerPC) to transfer the Leopard DVD image to a USB stick, then booted off a seperate USB stick with a bootloader on it that I prepared in Windows. It worked fine for me, though obviously took a long time to prepare the Leopard USB because the iMac only has USB 1.1 on it..

« Snow Leopard 10.6 install Problem :S [Dell Mini 10v] | OS Update process - do I understand it? »