General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default 0.8.4 RC1 Recovery? - 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi all, some backstory on my current situation.

Had installed and updated to 0.8.3 RC4 with SL 10.6.2 and was humming along just fine. Saw there was a new RC so installed it, 0.8.3 RC5, and had kernel panics. After a few back and forthing with NBCD I managed to get back into my Mac install, although my audio was no longer working and my graphics weren't interested in hardware acceleration.

So I saw the 10.6.3 update here and the new 0.8.4 NBI, so thought I'd give it a go to see if it fixed any of my problems.

My steps:
Install 0.8.4 RC1
Update to 10.6.3
Reboot (and wait for NBI to install and reboot)
.... Kernel panic

So I pop in with recovery=y and rerun RC1 to see if that helps, reboot, panic. Tried rerunning without reloading the bootloader, just regenning DSDT and doing extensions. Reboot, panic. Reran with just DSDT, rebooted, panic.

Annoyingly I am having to reboot with recovery=y to get into my system, it's not too bad but my sound and graphics are still AWOL.

My question is, what does recovery=y do exactly? I read on the google code site that it loads a kind of 'last good configuration' mkext from /Extra. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me work out exactly what kext is causing my panic attacks, by telling me how to tell what kexts are loaded different from the recovery ones, and how I can load them one by one to find the one causing my problems.

Is that something that will work? I'm new to the mac world (my 10v being my first mac) and the kexts are entirely new to me, but I've had linux experience in the past and am very competent computerwise, including terminal use.

So any help would be much appreciated I'd love to get my dell back to full operating status... preferably without a full reinstall.

Cheers all!

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM

recovery=y forces chameleon to ignore the /Extra/Extensions(.mkext) and instead loads /Extra/UpdateExtensions/Extensions.mkext (the file loaded when NBI is auto run).

The extensions loaded are the same as the ones loaded when NetbookBootMaker is used.

If you can boot with recovery=y, the first thing you can try it just running /Extra/

If that doesn't work, try removing kexts that you don't need in /Extra/<machine>Ext/ and then running /Extra/
The kexts you *must* have are the following:
- FaceSMC.kext
- Either a disabler (NUllCPUPM.kext or Disabler.kext) or the CPUIDOverride and SPUIDSymbols kexts.
- ApplePS2Controller.kext (for the keyboard / mouse to work, usb works without it though).

I'd try removing the IOATAFamily and PATA kexts. (you might try removing those kexts from /S/L/E instead as well).

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.
  (#3) Old
Default 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM

depending on the Kernel Panic

the kext file here may help - Miscellaneous - NullCPUPowerManagement (32-/64-bit) -

Let me know if this helps, it solved my booting issue

(#4) Old
Default 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Well, a much better situation than it was in. Thanks a lot for the advice and pointers, after some more investigation with a little more knowledge I found a sort of solution. There were a group of kexts to do with CHUD (CHUDKernLib, CHUDProf, CHUDUtils) that looked suspicious. Whenever my kernel panic stopped my boot it would call out the chud.iokit file or some such, so I took the CHUD files out of /S/L/E and deleted the cache. Rebooting and it went through without a hitch.

I really don't know if removing them will cause problems, but it's solved everything that I had issues with so far so that's all good. XCode still runs and my iPhone app doesn't seem to throw up errors in the simulator, so that's a bonus.

Anyways, I'm really glad that my dell mac is back up and running I'm glad it wasn't a problem with the NBI, though I have no idea why it showed up after installing 0.8.3 RC5.

Cheers guys, thanks!

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')

« mini 10v external screen and wakeup from sleep | Undo a "fb-rotate" »