General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Exclamation **OFFICIAL** Mac OSX 10.6.3 Update Thread - 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM

To reduce the number of duplicate threads, I started this official 10.6.3 reference thread. Please read this original post before creating any threads related to 10.6.3 questions!

First and foremost, please ensure you are running NBI .8.4RC1 before upgrading to OSX 10.6.3 via Software Update.
This is the most current version of NBI and it supports the 10.6.3 update (among other things). Please refer to that thread regarding any installation questions... they do not belong in this thread!

Installation Instructions :
  1. Restore OSX 10.6 DVD to USB drive
  2. Run NetbookBootMaker (this version) to patch the USB
  3. Make sure Legacy USB is enabled in BIOS (for booting from USB)
  4. Boot Mini (9 or 10v) to patched Install USB [note, if "pinwheel of death" appears... wait up to 10 minutes. if not, reboot to USB]
  5. Install OSX 10.6.x or upgrade from 10.5.x to 10.6
  6. Once the installation has completed remove your USB drive and reboot
  7. Run Software Update and upgrade to 10.6.3
  8. Enjoy OSX on your Mini!
[let me remind you that it is always a good idea to check/repair permissions after any OS upgrade. you can do this with Disk Utility or applications such as OnyX]

Upgrade Instructions :
  1. Download the NetbookInstaller .8.4RC1
  2. Run NBI .8.4RC1 using the options you prefer
  3. Run Software Update -- Upgrade to 10.6.3
  4. Reboot your Mini
Remember, with .8.4 releases NBI runs automatically when necessary (at least with OSX 10.6.1 - 10.6.3).

Secondly, for those of you who are curious, check out the Engadget post that details the full changelog of OSX 10.6.3.

Finally, a huge thanks to meklort is in order for making this all possible... and thanks to those who have donated and contributed to the ADC Membership. This membership allows meklort to work on OSX builds before they become available to the public so that NBI supports the upgraded builds and we are able to upgrade without issues.

**WARNING**

Do NOT reboot or power down system when it reboots and sits with a NBI logo on the screen. This is normal. Rebooting during this phase can cause issues.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#2) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 08:08 PM

So im clear, for someone running 10.6.2, steps are:
1. download and run NetbookInstaller .8.4RC1
2. download and install the 10.6.3 update

reboot

correct?
  (#3) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM

I followed that route with the addition of making the necessary changes to sort audio/mic on the Mini 9 without Voodoo and after installation/reboot my machine will not get past the log in screen or allow an account to be selected.
  (#4) Old

Default Installed 0.8.4 on 10.6.2, now won't boot - Please HELP! - 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Landog, did exactly that.

So, I've had 10.6.2 running perfectly forever now on my Mini10v. Saw that 10.6.3 came out and started digging on how to get this to work. Noticed there was 0.8.4 NBI, so installed it. Now, keeps telling me to reboot. Kernel CPU mismatch or something. (Sounds like the old Intel Atom issue). How can I resolve this now that NBI is installed on 10.6.2? I am in limbo...waiting for your response. If I have to go back to 0.8.3, I will, but, can't even boot to get revert back.

Thank you...
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM

boot with "recovery=y" to get into OS X if it kernel panicked.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM

i have a dell mini 9, and was running 10.6.2 with everything working except internal microphone.

updated:

downloaded NBI 0.8.4RC1
ran NBI 0.8.4RC1
installed 10.6.3
went through the reboots

now (EDIT: redownloaded 0.8.4RC1):

suspend works, but get beachball after entering password, hard reset needed to recover
bluetooth works but no longer toggles on/off
cpu is now "Unknown"

i tried re-running NBI 0.8.4RC1 but to no avail.

thoughts on fixing before i revert to 10.6.2?

thanks!
  (#7) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm having the same problems as brian5s, I installed NBI 0.8.4, then went through the 10.6.3 install process in OS X, and upon reboot, all I get is a message telling me to restart. Does anybody know how to fix this? I would really love to not restore the whole thing again.
  (#8) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM

I gave this a try, so here are my results.

1011 Mini 10v, A05 with 10.6.2 and 0.8.3 (I think). EDIT: Also dual-booting with Win7, so my boot process is Win7 menu first, then the Chameleon boot loader. I disabled sleep and USB legacy in advance, as per another thread I read.

1- Installed 0.8.4 RC1 and rebooted, no issues.
2- Downloaded 10.6.3 manually and saved, then ran it manually.
3- rebooted and powered up with no boot options. Had the spinning wheel for at least 5 minutes, then got panicky and powered down. Apple logo had been replaced with a laptop logo, also.
4- rebooted again with -v. Ran for at least 5 to 7 minutes, then eventually sat at a solid blue screen. I waited at least 5 minutes more but no change - I then powered down.
5- rebooted a third time, with no boot options. This time I had the Apple logo and the OS came up after about a minute. So far, no issues - NIC works, sound works, wireless works.

EDIT: As meklort mentioned, the reboot might be taking a very long time to update things. If I had to do this again, I would have rebooted with -v after the 10.6.3 install and let it sit there for longer than I originally did.

Cheers.

---------------------------
Mini 10v A06, MacOS 10.6.8
  (#9) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 03-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Do *NOT* reboot when you see the NBI logo. It's doing things. There *is* a bug where it takes a while to reboot, so if you get it at the trailing end of the reboot, then it *might* be fine, but if it hasn't finished yet, it'll mess up your install.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Send a message via Yahoo to Carlos
Default 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort View Post
Do *NOT* reboot when you see the NBI logo. It's doing things. There *is* a bug where it takes a while to reboot, so if you get it at the trailing end of the reboot, then it *might* be fine, but if it hasn't finished yet, it'll mess up your install.
Now you tell me. I got this, didn't know what it was and forced a shut down and reboot. Now it boots but it just hangs at the desktop with the mouse and the magnifying class in the upper right hand corner.

« HELP: EBIOS error message | Any other Dell laptops, easily hackintoshable like mini 10V? »