General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#191) Old
Default 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM

I tried to update last night:

I repaired permissions, then restarted
I installed .8.4RC1, then restarted
Ran Update via Software update

I let the software upgrade, and that went fine. It got to the NBI logo (mini9 with osx on screen), so I figured I would give it time to do its thing (as has been mentioned here numerous times), so I went to sleep with it running. I wake up and its still on the NBI screen with the circular logo still winding.

I know we were warned it would take awhile, but 8 hours seemed a bit too long. So, I held down the power button and restarted. Now it just sits at the same NBI screen. Is there anything I can do? Is this the kernel panic everyone is talking about?
  (#192) Old
Default 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Anyone had any problems with not being able to enter any kind of recovery mode. I am not using a Dell but the reason I ask is I am unable to find help anywhere else. I was running 10.6.2 fine with NBI 0.8.3 (Aspire One), installed NBI 0.8.4 rc1 to prepare for the 10.6.3 but after a reboot all I get is a k.p. and no way to enter recovery mode. How do you enter recovery mode on 0.8.4 rc1?
  (#193) Old
Default Easy Fix for Kernal Panic after upgrade to OSX 10.6.3 - 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM

i am moving house at present and living out of hotels. I fouled up the upgrade from 6.2 to 6.3 on my Dell Mini 10v but didn't have access to my backup disc on which I have several generations of clones. (Normally I would just restart from that, delete the Extra and bak folders then run latest version of NBI on the internal drive.) Tried a variety of tricks which should have worked but didn't. Here is how I eventually got around it without having to re-install. I've gone into a bit of detail here as a lot of the readers don't seem to be to clear on some of the Mac processes.

• Put Snow Leopard DVD into the Mac and restarted with C key held down. This enables one to do a normal install.
• Formatted an 8gb thumb drive but even after de-selecting all the extras the installer said there was not enough room on it and refused to install
• So created a 8.6gb GUID disk image using Disk Utility (which is in the Go menu under Utilities)and installed onto that instead (Look on the top bar under images)
• After that, the image would not open on the Mac, so I had to select the image, hit "CMD I" (or get info from the Finder menu), then change prefs to "read & write" for all users.
• Once the Image opened OK, I used Disk Utility to Restore the installation from the Image to the Thumb Drive.
• Put all the utilities I might need into the utilities folder on the thumb drive - including NBI 0.8.4.RC1 and Disk Warrior 4.2 and Show Hidden Files (get that off
• Next ran Bootmaker 0.8.3 on the thumb drive and booted the Dell from that.
• Once I was through setting up the new account, I had to go to Finder, Preferences and click on Hard Disks so I could see my internal drive on the desktop.
• Opened internal drive, ran Show hidden files and deleted the Extra and bak Extra folders. (You could also run bootmaker and get it to show the boot folders instead of hiding them, then delete them.)
• The next step may not be necessary but I did it anyway for peace of mind - Ran Disc Warrior on the internal drive (after the Extra folders were gone) and rebuilt the directory.
• Then ran NBI 0.8.4.RC1 and restarted.
• Mini working AOK since.

The moral:

1. don't update without making a clone first and
2. don't travel without a thumb drive or external drive of some sort that you can boot from in an emergency.
3. Get Disk Warrior from Alsoft. Fixes almost anything and saves re-installing.

Hope some part of this helps someone.
  (#194) Old
Default 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Has anyone else experienced the NBI screen hanging for hours?
  (#195) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 04-03-2010, 12:40 AM

Upgraded the Mini10v today to 10.6.3 via the combo update after having upgraded to 0.8.4 RC1 last night.

The 10.6.3 upgrade went smoothly and I can still dual-boot my windows 7 partition and the Mac OSX partition.

Aside from the no audio issues that I had with the 0.8.4 RC1 update last night (already discussed) I'm a happy camper and fully up to date with all of my Apple software!

Melkort and all others, thanks for your hard work.

Mini10v: Black, 2GB RAM, 160GHD 10.6.7/Windows 7 Dual-boot, NBI 0.8.4
Mini9: Black, 2GB RAM, 32GSSD, 10.6.7 NBI 0.8.5pre
MacBook Pro:15" Aluminum, 5GB RAM, 640GBHD, 10.6.7
iMac: 20" White 3GB RAM, 750GBHD, 10.6.7
  (#196) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 01:51 AM

I upgraded from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 without issue. All one has to do is carefully read the instructions, and have some patience.

Melkort and all others, thanks for your hard work.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2010-04-02 at 6.24.44 PM.png  
  (#197) Old
Default Easy and perfect - 04-03-2010, 04:03 AM

Thanks all for such an easy update. My Inspiron 1011 (10v) BIOS A05 did a perfect update without any panics from me or the kernel.

It takes a while so just be patient.
  (#198) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 04:27 AM

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me; I'm having problems with 10.6.3 - I've tried posting my problem here:

Serious problem with 10.6.3 - any help appreciated.

but really didn't get any responses.

Basically - I have a dual booting 10v, I installed 8.4 rc1 according to the notes on this thread - I took the downloaded combo update and installed it. After install I get the lovely:

(incase you can't see, it came out smaller then I expected - the circle with the line thru it) on the apple logo at boot.

I can boot into the system with -x, and I can boot into the system with recovery=y - I've tried running NBI (I honestly don't know what to select when I run it, so I have it usually deal with the bootloader, dsdt, kexts) and reboot and I get the circle with the line thru it.

I know the system works as I can get in with the recovery option, but I don't know how to fix the system so it boots normally again....

I did read thru this entire thread, and saw one post that someone mentioned the same error, and that person suggested erasing a kext from the systems folder - I tried moving the kext out of the systems folder and following his other instructions, but it didn't seem to help...

Any help most appreciated.
  (#199) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM

I messed up my 10.6.3 upgrade and now get "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU" - obviously should have run NetbookInstaller .8.4 RC1 first but didn't...

Is there any way I can fix this now by running NetbookInstaller somehow or do I need to do a reinstall?
  (#200) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM

the audio is OK after all.

PlayStation2 SCPH-30001 v4.0 / Seagate 250GB
PlayStation2 SCPH-39001N v7.0 / Seagate 320GB HDLoader 0.8c / Memory Card Exploit
(+[__]%) PSP-1001k 98500 5.00 M33-6 2, 8 & 32GB MSPD
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr

« HELP: EBIOS error message | Any other Dell laptops, easily hackintoshable like mini 10V? »