General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#131) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM

OK. Thought this may be useful to others.

I have a Mini9 with 8Gb SSD and 16Gb SDHC, 2GB Ram.

I failed to be able to run either the 10.6.3 update or the combo update, as the install failed every time with installation error as I reported on my previous post.

I re-cloned my 10.6.2 working copy (that had NetbookInstaller 0.8.4RC1 installed and working) to an external USB HDD. (Interestingly, my Mini9 trackpad and external mouse is almost unusable when I have this LaCie USB drive plugged in - like an interrupt conflict)
I re-ran NBI on the USB just to be sure.
I then rebooted from the USB (enabled Legacy USB in Bios)
I then ran the 10.6.3 Combo update on the external HDD
All installed well, finished installing, went to purple night desktop image for a few minutes and then restarted
Chose the USB drive again.
NBI ran for about 8 minutes
Mini9 restarted and all was OK
Patched the AboutthisMAC
Ran CarbonCopyCloner again to image the USB HDD to my SSD
Restarted the Mini9 and all was fine

Finally, I ran Bikinifarm's fix for Audio
Dell Mini 9 Audio with Microphone without VoodooHDA (Snow 10.6.2)

I now have an 8Gb Mini9, running 10.6.3, with working sound and microphone!

Well done to Meklort and others.
  (#132) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm just finishing the Mac OSX combo update: does anyone know if the kext has to be changed again to allow mirroring of displays?

I've been so impressed by all the work I made a donation to the Mechdrew fund- I think we all owe them the price of a cup of coffee, at least ;-)
  (#133) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Anyone getting Kernel Panics - don't bother hoping.

Nothing can be done. Period. I ran a fresh reinstall last night. It's the only way to get around it. Can't believe a solution wasn't found.
  (#134) Old
Default Updated completed - 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aristizzle View Post
Success! As others have said, all you need is patience AND to have installed NBI 0.8.4 RC 1 BEFORE updating. I used the combo update. After install, the mini restarted. NBI did its thing for about 8 minutes, rebooted and presto! 10.6.3 staring back at me. Audio was grayed out. Shutdown, turned power back on and after logging in, audio was back.
Just like you said. Did it like you...even audio works after first reboot.
  (#135) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM

I don't know if this was answered but to boot into recovery hold shift and when you get to the menu type in "recovery=y" then hit enter (you should see your typing at the bottom left hand corner of the screen)

It booted to the desktop for me, I'm running NBI again and hopefully it fixes the kernal panics.
  (#136) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM

after installing the new nbi version the update worked just fine.
but it was a long process, took something about one or two hours.

only problem now is, that my windows 7 usb stick wont boot and that while tipping this the first time a message appeard that tells me to reboot my computer instantly.
  (#137) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 05:06 PM

on this update thread, I tried to learn if bootable SL USB drive can be 'upgraded' with Netbootmaker 0.8.4 but I have not found any info-

so my thinking is better not risk it-just going to restore SL retail disk to USB fresh and hit it with newer NetBootMaker 0.8.4rc1

Dell mini 10v 10.6.3 NBI 0.8.4-RC1 BIOS A05 & 2nd 10v @ BIOS A06
  (#138) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DougA View Post
the Adobe CS apps not working with 10,6,3 is now a huge topic at Apple's Support Discussion Forum.

Many configurations are affected.

My "real" macbook has no issues, my dell mini 10v absolutely will not allow Adobe CS3 apps to function.

I have to apologize for incorrectly assuming it was the new NBI .8.4 rc1 that was causing this problem.

I found this problem first-hand on my dell mini 10v before it had become a known, widespread issue affecting all sorts of actual Apple Mac computers.

Huge discussion here at Apple forums:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Installed 10.6.3 and now Photoshop CS3 ...

For the record, 10.6.3 and NBI .8.4 rc1 worked perfectly for me except for the issue with Adobe CS apps.................
I think an apology to meklort would be appropriate, since you basically called him out and acted like a child when "your Mini broke"

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#139) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM

Tried to do an update using the newest NBI. It installed fine and the system rebooted to 10.6.2 ok but doing any update, either with the built-in software update function or downloading and installing the combo resulted in a vegetable, non-booting system. Just getting a "boot0: error" message on the screen.

It may have something to do with my 32gb internal SSD not being big enough to handle the size of both the existing 10.6.2 and the added burden of the update (saw a quick flashing bit on the screen that seemed to say something about something being too large).

Anyway it's on to Kubuntu (nice new look on that one).
  (#140) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM

For sure, It's what separates MYDELLMINI from EVERY board I've ever been on. Don't bite the hand that feeds ya!

« HELP: EBIOS error message | Any other Dell laptops, easily hackintoshable like mini 10V? »