General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#121) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 01:26 AM

> am running A04 BIOS<

so am I with no issues

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#122) Old
Default Fixing Panic Issues with Nothing but Windows XP - 03-31-2010, 02:23 AM

My wife ran the 10.6.3 updates last night before I could run the NBI 0.8.4 update. Like a lot of people I'm having panic issues now.

The error says:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a96f6): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/nxu/nxu-1504.3.12/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:72

What should I do to resolve this? Hoping I don't need to wipe everything clean and start over. Another issue is that I don't have a Mac anymore to create the installer USB. Can I fix this problem with a PC running XP?

(#123) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 02:32 AM

I was able to mostly recover from a botched 0.8.4RC1 and 10.6.3 update installation. I tried reverting back to 0.8.3 and tried to remove the incompatible kext files, but that didn't work. However, I was able to recover without restoring any backups.

Boot with the -x flag to boot into safe mode (those with 0.8.4RC1 start with recovery=y or you can use -x). You should get a login prompt and "should" be able to type in your username and password (I hit some snags during my attempts sometimes, but was able to work around them.. somehow...).

Download and NetbookInstaller 0.8.4RC1 and run it WITHOUT installing the Chameleon update. I also just made sure to re-select my Mac partition. I only ran it to regenerate the DSDL.aml file and install the 10v support files. Reboot after it finishes.

If it does what mine did, on the reboot it'll still act like it's in safe mode (the bar across the top will be white), this means that some of the kext files didn't load. If you re-run the regular NetbookInstaller0.8.4RC1 app it will revert back to the kernel panic state. As opposed to doing that, run UpdateExtra from the /Extra folder. Reboot and you should have Sound and graphics.

Right now my lid sleep doesn't work, but at least I'm booting.

If you have trouble with your keyboard. You can try booting into single user mode. With -s -x flags. You should then be able to go back to an older /Extra folder by using mv on the current one to rename it and then mv the Extra.bak or whatever your previous Extra folder is called and change it to /Extra. Then try the steps above.

10v 2GB 160GB 6-Cell Dell Wireless 1510 Trackpad Swap BIOS A04 - Windows 7/Snow Leopard Dual Boot
  (#124) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Followed instructions, worked perfectly. Thanks.
Same here; no problems at all.

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#125) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 03:59 AM

Just wanted to add a big "thanks" to those providing the tools. Followed the instructions in the first post and got both dual-boot (OSX and Windows 7) 10v's in the house up and running on 10.6.3 with no problems. Thanks again!
  (#126) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 04:02 AM

Success! As others have said, all you need is patience AND to have installed NBI 0.8.4 RC 1 BEFORE updating. I used the combo update. After install, the mini restarted. NBI did its thing for about 8 minutes, rebooted and presto! 10.6.3 staring back at me. Audio was grayed out. Shutdown, turned power back on and after logging in, audio was back.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2010-03-30 at 11.57.36 PM.png  

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB HD | 1 GB RAM | Atom N280 | Obsidian Black | 10.6.8 | Working sound & Wi-Fi
  (#127) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aristizzle View Post
Success! As others have said, all you need is patience AND to have installed NBI 0.8.4 RC 1 BEFORE updating. I used the combo update. After install, the mini restarted. NBI did its thing for about 8 minutes, rebooted and presto! 10.6.3 staring back at me. Audio was grayed out. Shutdown, turned power back on and after logging in, audio was back.
Great... off topic...
Aristizzle, you have nice DOC.. Where did you get one... Or I mistaken?

Dell Mini 10 1012 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | 1510 WiFi
  (#128) Old
Default I fixed a 10v that updated to 10.6.3 before running rc1... - 03-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Hey guys, my friend ran software update on her mini before upgrading to rc1 and I successfully fixed it. I ended up mounting her hard drive physically to my 10v via a hard drive / usb adaptor. I then ran rc1 on my 10v while pointing it at hers. After a long boot and long gray screen it booted. Sound is working and it's named correctly and everything looks good.

Hope this helps- however, you will need both a hard drive adaptor and another mac (hackintosh or real).

Good luck.
  (#129) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 07:20 AM

the Adobe CS apps not working with 10,6,3 is now a huge topic at Apple's Support Discussion Forum.

Many configurations are affected.

My "real" macbook has no issues, my dell mini 10v absolutely will not allow Adobe CS3 apps to function.

I have to apologize for incorrectly assuming it was the new NBI .8.4 rc1 that was causing this problem.

I found this problem first-hand on my dell mini 10v before it had become a known, widespread issue affecting all sorts of actual Apple Mac computers.

Huge discussion here at Apple forums:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Installed 10.6.3 and now Photoshop CS3 ...

For the record, 10.6.3 and NBI .8.4 rc1 worked perfectly for me except for the issue with Adobe CS apps.................
  (#130) Old
Super Moderator
Default 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks Doug... interesting indeed!

It sound a bit like some of the problems which members on here often experience. What works for one, doesn't work for another, even though the hardware platform appears to be the same.

In this case, turning off "Open in Rosetta" seems to work for some, but not for others.

It will be interesting to see if Apple (or Adobe!) come up with a 'fix'!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« HELP: EBIOS error message | Any other Dell laptops, easily hackintoshable like mini 10V? »