General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Mar 2010
OS Update process - do I understand it? - 03-29-2010, 03:06 AM
After reading many posts, it seems that the OS Update / NetbookInstaller procedure has 'evolved' from the 'Safe Mode' method. There seem to be some contradictions in various documentation vs some posts to this forum.
Can someone please confirm for me if this is currently the proper sequence of steps? ie: Is it true that it's no longer necessary to reboot into Safe Mode?
- download the latest OSX Combo Update from Apple from here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106
- From OSX, run the latest NetbookInstaller obtained from here: http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/downloads/list
- Run the OSX Update that was downloaded from Apple, but when prompted at the end, don't reboot, yet.
- Again, run the latest NetbookInstaller
- Now go back to the OSX Combo Update and allow it to continue with the reboot.
(I'm not sure why NetbookInstaller should be run before the OSX Update...)
At this point it should boot properly?
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Join Date: Mar 2010
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Thumper, FYI: I wondered the same, but I finally found a "Donate" button on Meklort's Blog.
I've received my Mini and installed OSX since the time I posted the message you refer to, and it went smooth as silk. (Nearly) all steps went without a hitch.
The only hitch for me was after installing OSX 10.6.2 update from the base 10.6. Following all the steps per NetbookInstaller (well, actually for good measure, I ran NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 once more, just before I installed the OSX update), after the install was all finished, and rebooted, the sound didn't work. But after a 2nd reboot, it was fine.
Thanks again Meklort.
« Can I hackintosh my 10v without a Mac desktop/laptop? | Dell Inspiron Mini 1010, OS X Compatible? Last check before I buy! »
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.