General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default MacNet64 new user - Hi there! - 03-24-2010, 02:49 AM

Hi folks
My background is with Macs and media production. I recently picked up a Mini 10v with the sole purpose of hacking it - not to do video production of course, but to use for all the other daily tasks. I use Mac at my desk and have a MobileMe account, so I'd love to integrate the 10v into that combo and share my mail and everything while I'm out and about.

First thing I did was install 2GB RAM - kinda like playing Operation with a pipe wrench, but I got it done. I floundered around a little with the 8.4pre Installer and got pretty frustrated. I tried 8.3 and that worked like a charm. I upgraded to SL 10.6.2 and that went well. I've been installed all my apps and getting a feel for the little thing.
All good - until... I noticed it was running REALLY hot and then I got a kernel panic. It was sitting on my desk, and should have been getting reasonable airflow. But it seemed seriously hot. I shut it down and expected to have to run the installer from the flash drive to refresh it. But now it won't even boot into the BIOS. I'm afraid it fried itself. I am, wondering if I have a dead Mini that I need to send back to Dell. Any thoughts?

(I wasn't sure if I should post a Hello in the Newbie forum or here, since I'm only interested in the Mini as a Hackintosh)

Mini 10v | 160GB HD | 2 GB RAM | 6-cell Battery | Sneaux Leopard 10.6.2

« Mini 1012 - Ethernet is working but no Wireless | Operating system not please!! =( »