General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Need Help deciding which platform to start with - 03-11-2010, 06:10 AM

While I was in Radio Shack today, I pulled out my macbook to show the guy what parts I needed him to order, he said "hey, check this out". He proceeded to show me a Dell mini9 running OSX. I nearly pooped. He directed me to this site and I've spent the evening reading posts and searching for answers to questions I have.

What I can't seem to come up with is which platform to look for.

I want to use the netbook primarily as a GPS in my truck. (I don't mind having to plug a usb GPS reciever in)
Also I would like it to hold <20Gb of music so I don't have to plug my phone in every time I get in and out of the car.
I am considering a wireless card so my wife can get on facebook when we're on a long drive, but I'll have to look into monthly fees and such.

Is one platform easier than another to add OSX to?
I'm all about cheap (or I'd get a MacBook Air or mac mini to stuff under the seat)

Any advice will be appreciated. And if this has been asked 500 times I apologize. I am a regular on a few boards and the same question over and over and over and over is annoying, I promise I searched and I didn't come up with anything.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM

One alternate approach, although not as flexible, but may useful if the primary purpose is in-vehicle use, would be to get an Atom based mini/microATX motherboard and special in-vehicle housing with nice heatsinks to avoid need for fans. Eg the Intel D945GCLF2 board, or something newer. This particular motherboard is even more OS-X compatible than a netbook (less kexts needed), although most of the "installation" is very similar. Sorry can't find links, but try Google for in-vheicle computer forums and suppliers; there's a lively community out there of people making this sort of thing at home, and various companies selling cases, 12/24V power conditioners/adapters etc.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks, I'll look into it. Although I hate pairing hardware. (That's why I'm a mac guy ) If I can find the community and do some serious reading I may go that route.

They've got the 10v on dell for $250 right now.

« Install SL on external USB HD from Mac... | Funny Hackint0sh »