General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Suddenly Wont Boot - 03-10-2010, 01:18 AM

My wife has been using my mini10 booting snow leopard for about 8 months - running great, no problems.
Suddenly she tells me its not working. I take a look and its stuck in a boot loop. The dell startup screen is gone. Ive tried a handful of things and havent been able to come up with any solutions. My last resort will be to format the drive and start all over again, but Id love it if someone else had a better solution.

(#2) Old
Default 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Make a Chameleon-based USB boot thing, presuming you have access to another machine (!).
Then you can/should be able to boot from that (unless theres some BIOS fault), and using Chameleon, provided that the original HD install is still there (disk OK), you ought to be able to select that (original install on HD) and boot that, then go and repair the boot stuff on the HD. (Reinstall Chameleon/re-run net book installer etc).

Or, (again, presuming access to another machine), pull the drive and connect via USB-SATA interface to 2nd Mac, and reinstall Chameleon.

If/when you are able to boot into OSX on the original HD, may be a good idea to first boot into Single User Mode and run /sbin/fsck as prompted. Hopefully the OSX install is not "trashed" beyond repair!

« .bashrc in SL? | MacBook Mini Decals Now Available »