General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default windows 7 starter download - 03-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Hi I have installed mac os and it works perfectly, however I screwed up and the original windows 7 starter is no longer on the hard disk. I wrote to Dell asking for a recovery cd and they said it doesnt come with one- I know this. I then asked them if I could buy it- no answer- i fact all correspondence with Dell has been difficult, one of the operatives said I can download it from their site. So far I have not found the link. I have a Key on the back of my dell mini 10v, can anyone point me to a (legal) link where I can download the os.
  (#2) Old
macaroni

Default 03-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
Hi I have installed mac os and it works perfectly, however I screwed up and the original windows 7 starter is no longer on the hard disk. I wrote to Dell asking for a recovery cd and they said it doesnt come with one- I know this. I then asked them if I could buy it- no answer- i fact all correspondence with Dell has been difficult, one of the operatives said I can download it from their site. So far I have not found the link. I have a Key on the back of my dell mini 10v, can anyone point me to a (legal) link where I can download the os.
Sorry I don't have a link (probably rapidshare or mediafire or sharespace....something like these) but Dell should give you the disc. I called Tech Support (I think or cs, I forget) and they had one to me in two days. Just tell them you have to re-install and that it didn't come with the disk...if that doesn't work, don't waste your time, call customer service.....you just have to get the right person. If they say they don't give it out, that's just wrong, ask them to speak with their supervisor and don't back down.....they have to give it to you.

p.s. don't offer to pay - even for the shipping - they owe you the disc.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-06-2010, 04:08 PM

There would not be any legal downloads of Win7 Starter, as that is provided only to OEMs. Get Dell to send you the disc.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#4) Old

Default not helping - 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the above help, I have already tried on a number of occasions to get a restore disk from dell. The standard answer (it appears their call centre is in India) is
"it doesn't come with a restore cd"- they have however agreed to replace the power cable for the right country after telling me the one I have is for Romania.

I dont even want to install windows 7 home starter, it is just in case I sell the netbook.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM

My 10v did come with three CDs (may have been DVDs) and one is definitely a Win7 Starter restore disk. Mine was ordered new, from Amazon, in December 2009.

Phil

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#6) Old

Default 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM

To be fair, I did buy a refurbished version, however I have to say their service, especially via email, is useless, haven't got a reply via email yet.

« OSX Boot-Up Repair Every Time! | Internal microphone not working w/Snow Leopard »