General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Mini 10 [1010] not 10v Install Help? - 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM

OS-X SL Install on Dell Mini 10?

Having issues installing OS-X to Dell Mini10 (not 10v) - Unable to see the internal Harddrive once the installer starts (using NetbookInstaller 2x USB or NetbookCD Installers [latest])

Does anyone have a working mini 10 [1010] that can assist me - I don't have access to a mac so it is proving somewhat difficult to try things

See the thread [Dell Mini 10 meet Snow Leopard] & [NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 Final (Official Realease)] threads

Have tried several different things with the HDD - creating volumes of different types to get it recognised but have reached a mental block with what i have to hand

Any help would be appreciated - and if you have a working 1010 (Mini10), your advice would be highly welcomed!

Thank you

Darin

p.s. Separate thread as people get confused between 10v & 10 in discusion

Video of install process using the 2x USB method upto the point of fail -

(#2) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM

what version os x are you using? I noticed you had a grey screen with the dark grey apple at start up. with snow leopard you should get the fancy 'silver' apple on the grey start up screen.

im pretty sure the instructions on the '..meet snow leopard' thread are only for snow leopard (10.6.x), and that may be why you're running into problems. i dont know the guts of it, but im pretty sure no one's ever got leopard (10.5) onto a 1010

i have a 1010 that's had os x working beautifully for about a month now. i followed the instructions and it worked great.

things id check:
1: os x version. this is key because the hacks they provide are version specific
2: format of partition. i never had any trouble with this but maybe try leaving the space you want os x on unallocated.
3: your version of chameleon. again, dont know but its not perfect so maybe try another release

also if you have the good forturne of getting it installed, get to page 24 or so on the 'met snow leopard' thread and find where they talk about the "russian" hack. you'll need to follow the directions (they're on one of the pages that are linked to in the thread, and they're inline so don't think they're gone) after you install the 10.6.1 update or you'll be doing a whole lot of freaking out because you just had os x on your dell and you were so excited and now it thinks its asleep forever and you have to start all over.

let us know how you get on, what os x your using...

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

How To install OSX on Mini10

that's the how to for the mini 10 that seems to have worked for most people. you need a mac to get it done, but it's worth it so you're probably gonna have to find one, a friend maybe...
  (#3) Old

Default 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Hi, Snow Leopard (SL) is 10.6 & I followed everything with the exception that I had originally hoped to stick this on a brand new hard drive.

I've tried to see if the HDD is recognised with & without XP already on-board, tried it unallocated, partitioned, formatted but nothing seams to make a difference, I even tried it with my original HDD that came with the Mini Dell that has Xp on it - no go.

When you installed, what OS were you running on the Dell Mini 10 & did you do any preparation beforehand to the HDD i.e. create a separate partition for OSX? & what make, model & capacity is your drive? [thnx]

Another thing I'm interested in is how your bios is set up to boot - HH,CD,USB and in which order.

I can't believe it gets so far & fails no matter what when it searches for the HDD

I'm afraid I have absolutely no access to any mac - but maybe the next version of netbookinstaller/netbookCD will have this PC support.

Using an unmodified OSX SL DVD image transferred to a USB drive (all 7Gb)
using either NetbookCD or NetbookInstaller on USB stick (pre compiled images from instruction page)

Maybe I need to research a program that can read/write to mac formatted USB/disks?

I have maybe 2 or 3 stumbling blocks as a 1st time user - 1. Only PC, 2. Unmodified SL 10.6 Retails DVD + Image, 3. no mac to prepare drives, modify installers.

I would like to get this working without resorting to too much external jiggery pokery (if possible)

Hope that helps you understand a bit more. the video isn't that great but was done to give some idea of my failure.

Thanks

Darin
  (#4) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 04:51 AM

Hey Zolitare, I think I figured out how to get working... I'm going to finish this up and if all goes well, i'll tell you exactly what I did.

Edit:
I'm installing onto the internal drive right now. Everything looks good at the moment. While it's installing, here's what I did after searching through many pages of forum threads...

You've been using the 2 usb method. What you need is a third usb stick/usb hard drive. It must be 8gb or greater. I installed SL onto one of the 8gb+ sticks using the guide. I didn't update to 10.6.2. From there, you have a working SL. I then downloaded these two files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmkgrgkjeyi

http://netbook-installer.googlecode....00.8.3.app.zip

Unzip the NSnowD10 archive and navigate to Extra/Extentions... keep the window open.

unzip netbook bootmaker to your desktop then rightclick the icon and click on "show package contents" Navigate to contents/resource/supportfiles/machine/general/extentions

Back to NSnowD10 archive... Copy AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, RealtekR1000SL.kext, and VAIOPEnabler.kext to the netbook bootmaker extention folder and replace the files when asked. You probably only need the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext, but the other ones were used by another user so I figure it wouldn't hurt.

Close all the windows. At this point, plug in the USB stick you used for the OSX DVD.
What for the OS to recognize it then run the Netbook Bootmaker program. From the drop down, select the install disk, not the boot drive. Then click the button to make it do it's thing. after it's done, boot off the usb stick you just ran the program on (it loads the bootloader) and you should go into the MacOSX install screen again. Hopfully you'll also see your internal drive :P

let me know if you have any trouble with that. The installer is about halfway done here, hoping there wont be a whole lot of post install issues to deal with.

-Pwolf
  (#5) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfamv View Post
Hey Zolitare, I think I figured out how to get working... I'm going to finish this up and if all goes well, i'll tell you exactly what I did.

Edit:
I'm installing onto the internal drive right now. Everything looks good at the moment. While it's installing, here's what I did after searching through many pages of forum threads...

You've been using the 2 usb method. What you need is a third usb stick/usb hard drive. It must be 8gb or greater. I installed SL onto one of the 8gb+ sticks using the guide. I didn't update to 10.6.2. From there, you have a working SL. I then downloaded these two files:

NSnowD10 12?11?09.zip

http://netbook-installer.googlecode....00.8.3.app.zip

Unzip the NSnowD10 archive and navigate to Extra/Extentions... keep the window open.

unzip netbook bootmaker to your desktop then rightclick the icon and click on "show package contents" Navigate to contents/resource/supportfiles/machine/general/extentions

Back to NSnowD10 archive... Copy AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, RealtekR1000SL.kext, and VAIOPEnabler.kext to the netbook bootmaker extention folder and replace the files when asked. You probably only need the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext, but the other ones were used by another user so I figure it wouldn't hurt.

Close all the windows. At this point, plug in the USB stick you used for the OSX DVD.
What for the OS to recognize it then run the Netbook Bootmaker program. From the drop down, select the install disk, not the boot drive. Then click the button to make it do it's thing. after it's done, boot off the usb stick you just ran the program on (it loads the bootloader) and you should go into the MacOSX install screen again. Hopfully you'll also see your internal drive :P

let me know if you have any trouble with that. The installer is about halfway done here, hoping there wont be a whole lot of post install issues to deal with.

-Pwolf
thanks, few questions ... seams a few steps missing, also are you preparing everything on the netbook or another pc?
Quote:
...the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext, but the other ones were used by another user so I figure it wouldn't hurt.

Close all the windows. At this point, plug in the USB stick you used for the OSX DVD...
what did you transfer the files to the USB stick to get it to book from this?

Also what was the condition of the HDD? any partitions setup, using an OS already?

Also now I can see the stumbling block with the NetbookBootMaker - the mini 10 doesn't have it's own set of kexts under the ...machine/support/..

I don't have time this morning to try this - have a USB stick with XP Install on, so I will wait until I know whether to install that on netbook 1st (put a working OS onto the netbook hard drive to start with.

thanks again.

p.s. When you said " I installed SL onto one of the 8gb+ sticks using the guide" do you mean INSTALLED or copied the OSX DVD?

Darin
  (#6) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM

When I have more time after work I'll retype everything so it's a little easier to follow :P
  (#7) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfamv View Post
When I have more time after work I'll retype everything so it's a little easier to follow :P
Hi, My new OSX SL DVD arrived and I'm installing on external HDD (or so it appears) - maybe you have hit on a 'good' working solution as the internal was still not recognised

I'm going to try follow what you have so far, but getting further is a godsend

btw, I'm actually using NetbookCD & an external HDD - I think the Dell Mini was getting confused by the thumbdrives with the external HDD plugged in for some reason ... install says 30 minutes, so I guess I'll know more as it goes along.

The things is NetbookCD didn't work previously by swapping the DVD disks (between the NDCD & OSX DVDs) - the only difference is this is a *brand new* SL Install DVD [still 10.6]

I am confused unless the DVD was indeed faulty or maybe it's just the HDD mounted externally is doing the business ... either way seams to be progress thank you

Darin

http://twitpic.com/16kysy
  (#8) Old

Default 03-04-2010, 11:14 PM

Okay after a bit of messing about of switch USB ports - boot with right hand side USB port, OSX drive on left hand port it mostly works (booting OSX & running from external USB drive)

no sound straight away - found VoodooHDAudio.kext to work in a limited fashion - low volume & distorted

other thing of note is that my Dell Mini 10 bios keeps resetting itself (USB Wake Support - keeps enabling & drives re-organise themselves after a successful boot ???)

haven't check other things out but WiFi connects no problems, update works via apple, bluetooth appears to be working (although not tested)

next stop is to find a better solution for audio & then when I'm happy everything is working okay - will transfer HDD to internal & run from there (at present I disabled booting from HDD in bios whilst trying things out)

I have no idea why none of this worked before today, unless my original OSX DVD was faulty in some way - even the user agreement was showing okay (which it wasn't before)

happy to have a working system now, things can only get better?

Darin

P.S. 1366X768 screen is working straight off - no need to change settings, it was recognised
  (#9) Old

Default 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

still not able to see HDD when mounted internally, although bootloader on HDD starts up - perhaps need to load those kexts next to enable the internal HDD to function

Install OSX DVD - doesn't recognise drive when relaunched either
  (#10) Old

Default 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM

You'll need to copy the osx dvd to a usb stick (since you have a working OSX just follow this guide for doing that: NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew ) then inject the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into the Netbook Bootmaker and run it on the usbstick. Then install OSX again (on the internal drive) using that as the install media and not the CD.

« Question marks instead of icons in the dock | Inspiron 1012 | NetbookInstaller/NetbookMaker img files? »