General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old

Default Ve - 03-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Hi Zolitaire,

Did you manage to get Vesa mode work on OSX?

Could you give us some details?

I would sacrifice some resolution for the sake of a good quality playing videos on OSX.

If you got it to play videos at 25 or 30 Frames per Second, maybe it's a good temp solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
  (#22) Old

Default 03-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Hi, I can confirm that running under 1024x768 or 800x600 or 800x576 works very well for video - but I'm booting up using command-line (& maybe not doing it correctly)

When you start netbook press the CMD key (Alt) then Tab
enter the following string >> -x "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@60" platform=ACPI << or platform=X86PC

the above is only a temporary solution as it boots into safe mode with the desired resolution, but I'm looking at a 'fix' to boot normally. However launch iTunes & you'll see very fast video in a 'standard' VESA mode. you can boot up the same way with the rez changed to "1366x768x32@60" & see the difference whilst in safe mode.

I am looking into 'SwitchResX' once I have my LCD screen EDID info - it's being problomatic

Incidentally, try using Ctrl or Alt & using Up & Down motions on the right side of your touchpad to zoom windows In & Out - it's another little trick

Cheers

Darin

** EDIT: Another nifty trick using terminal to run things a little smoother with the dock [use Terminal] >>> defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock <<<
  (#23) Old

Default 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Hi again,

Thanks for your help.

I'll try your new VESA method and let's see what happens.

Regards
  (#24) Old

Default 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrincon View Post
Hi again,

Thanks for your help.

I'll try your new VESA method and let's see what happens.

Regards
Selecting a VESA mode for the graphics is just as these are hardware compatible/selectable modes - so mode should be more happily running n these modes but aspect ratio is still off.

I have Monitor EDID modeline info now so may have yet another go this weekend - the 1366x768 is such an awkward resolution ;-)

** EDIT - EDID modeline for Dell Mini 10 HD 1366x768 Display

"1366x768" 72.300 1366 1414 1446 1526 768 771 776 790 +hsync -vsync

Hope that helps with SwitchResX - we'll see
  (#25) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM

New problem - upgrade to latest OSX update release 10.6.3 requires latest NetbookInstaller/netbookCD? trouble is the Dell Mini 10 [1010] comes up as device unsupported and will not boot into OSX properly (told to power off, power back on - kernal panic?)

Anyone know if the machine.plist needs to be modified in any way? (this has descriptions of models supported but don't know if adding a <key>Dell Mini 10</key> etc. etc. would work

I will try running 0.8.4.RC1 again - Mechdrew files on his website are 0.8.3 RC5 (for NBI download 0.8.4.RC1 [30/03/10])
  (#26) Old

Default 04-05-2010, 01:28 AM

i have problems with the mouse pad, i cant use it, im using a usb mouse, what do i have to do?

i have no sound!

about the resolution, i ve tried many ways to do, but resolution is still 800*576 it always says INCORRECT SIGNATURE

help please!
  (#27) Old

Default 04-08-2010, 03:15 AM

i have already everything! but less the sound :S
  (#28) Old

Default 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM

hi guys, ive been reading this forum and a few others and have tried everything but i must be doing something wrong
i have a mini 10 and no matter what i do cannot get the internal drive to appear in the left column of disk utility i must be doing something wrong, could someone please clear up the process for me...im using an imac to do all the other stuff

thanks
  (#29) Old

Default 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfL View Post
hi guys, ive been reading this forum and a few others and have tried everything but i must be doing something wrong
i have a mini 10 and no matter what i do cannot get the internal drive to appear in the left column of disk utility i must be doing something wrong, could someone please clear up the process for me...im using an imac to do all the other stuff

thanks
Hi, like yourself I couldn't see the drive when fitted internally but follow the instructions of page 2 (this thread) and use an EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE. Install to that and then you can fit it inside the Mini10 - seams unless you go about patching the install DVD, this is the best way - you need USB legacy enabled btw
  (#30) Old

Default 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM

sorry if this seems obvious but im brand new to this

when you say external enclosure you mean an external usb hard drive NOT a second usb flash drive correct?

if so what should be on this drive? blank?

also from what i take it we are to remove the intenral HD? if so how would i even go about doing that
thanks

« Question marks instead of icons in the dock | Inspiron 1012 | NetbookInstaller/NetbookMaker img files? »