General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old

Default 03-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Sorry to keep replying to myself but it should make it easier to follow.

Got it to work (at last)

Booting from NetbookCD with DVD plugged into right hand USB port & external USB HDD plugged in left side (importantly for me was to have no HDD in the Dell Mini10!)

Install as normal (per procedure set out in the NetbookCD Install)

update to latest version OS-X (did this over WiFi no problems)

connect to web and visit the following pages & download the appropriate files -

NSnowD10 12?11?09.zip (This is *just* for the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext)

DellMini9 Runcore SSD/10.6.1/NI 083 RC3 (Full Sound, Sleep, Reliable Restart!) (for the AudioKexts.zip)

& finally, this one is a godsend - http://cheetha.net/ (for Kext Helper b7) - this installs kexts files for you - drag & drop!

download everything - run KextHelper & drag the AppleintelPIIXATA.kext, the unzipped contents of the AudioKexts.zip file
into the kext entry box - if you have any others to install why not drag & drop them in there now.

enter your master password & click "easy install" - voila - installed - the KextHelper may not close properly just force quit

next re-run Kameleon bootloader form the desktop - and let it install itself on the HDD (select your target & options)

then shut down the netbook/OSX from the menu - let it shut down, give it time(!)

disconnect battery & power adapter

next you can put the HDD inside the netbook & close it all back up - stick the battery back on & plug it in (if necessary) - boot up normally. (I got a hibernation error which stayed on screen for about 4 seconds then it booted normally)

it *seams* okay so far - the audio has a preference pane in system properties if volume is too low, and video playback is quite painful, but I understand that the driver is basic.

Darin

p.s. pwolfamv I found those other kext files you mentioned would not allow machine to boot (apple with prohibited sign on top after a couple of minutes) had to re-install

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfamv View Post
You'll need to copy the osx dvd to a usb stick (since you have a working OSX just follow this guide for doing that: NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew ) then inject the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into the Netbook Bootmaker and run it on the usbstick. Then install OSX again (on the internal drive) using that as the install media and not the CD.
Still couldn't get it to work on the internal drive that way - I removed the drive, did the install then put it back in there ;-) (as per above procedure)

Cheers for finding that AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file - but as mentioned the other kexts caused issues.

Cheers

Darin

p.s. edit 07/02/2010 - http://twitpic.com/16xk47 < working from internal drive (no external connections)
  (#12) Old

Default Dell Mini 1010 and internal SATA HDD problems.... - 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as Zolitaire.

Whenever I try to install, whatever the method, OSX installation cannot find any internal HDD.

I've successfully installed it into an external HDD, but when I place HDD back into Dell Mini, it won't boot (ACPI_SMC.... Waiting for root device....)

Did you have the same issue?

Mine is a Dell Mini 1010 (with HDMI and TV Tuner). Is your Mini this same model and config?

I'm going crazy with this. I'm now trying Zolitaire's last method, step by step (only installing the kexts you recommend), and let's see what it happens. I'll tell you later.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Regards,
  (#13) Old

Default 03-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Hi jjrincon, yes it is frustrating, but the method I used works for people without a mac to start with. and it means you don't have to go overboard with buying too much to make it work - external DVD drive & maybe a USB stick if you prefer to boot from netbookinstall rather than netbookCD

good luck!

p.s. my netbook is the Dell Mini10 [1010] but without TV Tuner, has bluetooth & 802.11n WiFi card & 1Gb ram, nothing additional to that really

p.p.s. make sure your bios is setup properly to start with (check each boot as it could change!)
  (#14) Old

Default 03-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Hi again Zolitaire,

As for the bios settings, I've read a lot, but since there are so many Dell Mini configs (10, 10v, 1010, etc...), I'm not sure about what should be the correct config.

I'm following your guide step by step, but I'd like to know what BIOS settings you used, to ensure I'm as close to your settings as possible.

Specially dealing with USB WAKE..., right now I setting it off for installation, and setting on for first boot and onwards, but maybe that's the problem...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
  (#15) Old

Default 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Hi,

USB Legacy to ON
USB wakeup to OFF

I have had my BIOS flashed to A11 from the DELL US support website - from http://www.Dell.com - but not sure if you actually need this to get it working

Also in the BIOS set your boot up to go from CD 1st, then USB & stick HDD right at the bottom (use F5 & F6 keys to move the highlighted item)

I also have a small 1Gb USB thumbdrive that I have NetbookInstaller on which is handy for 1st boot if you prefer to compact the 1st boot (although it didn't allow me to install from this) 0.8.3F netbootinstaller

hope that helps * here is a twitpic image I took of my Dell mini 10 in mid flight LOL! (i was trying to show it was running unaided without external connections)

#Photo Dell Mini10 [1010] Netbook ? with OS-X Snow Leopard ... on Twitpic

(#16) Old

Default 03-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Zolitare . . . your patch info for the HDD drivers was the key. I have had this booting from external for hours... crashed no telling how many before coming across your find. I appreciate your effort! I came across the Kext tool a while back but was missing that crucial listing of files needed. It's alive!!!!!!
  (#17) Old

Default 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprince04 View Post
Zolitare . . . your patch info for the HDD drivers was the key. I have had this booting from external for hours... crashed no telling how many before coming across your find. I appreciate your effort! I came across the Kext tool a while back but was missing that crucial listing of files needed. It's alive!!!!!!
Thanks should also go to pwolfamv with the alternative "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" contained within the zip package file

Brilliant spread the word - I've removed it now from my internal bay of the Dell Mini10 - OSX is happy on the external.

Once a modified graphics card driver is created, I'll go back to it - My main use for the OS was mainly fr iTunes & net access anyway, but video is painfully slow within iTunes/Quicktime

Darin
  (#18) Old

Default 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM

I have noted a new graphics driver for win 7.... hopefully someone with spare time can work this in and hopefully resolve the resolution issue.... getting there!
  (#19) Old

Default 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprince04 View Post
I have noted a new graphics driver for win 7.... hopefully someone with spare time can work this in and hopefully resolve the resolution issue.... getting there!
something to try - Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components <- different h264 decoder from within iTunes (mac only)

might try this out at weekend

Cheers!

Darin

*** Update: Plugged in the OSX HDD & tried the Perian Software - much better in iTunes for h.264 coded videos - Note: Apple's H.264 decoder (QuickTimeH264.component) must be removed from /System/Library/QuickTime before Perian can take over for H.264. ***
  (#20) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 11:37 PM

** New Update - Graphics GMA500 - Smooth Video but at a price **

I'm trying to find out what VESA modes are supported by the Dell Mini 10 as Standard - the 1366x768 HD screen isn't a VESA Standard

The modes that work so far (to produce fast video in iTunes):

800x576x32
800x600x32
1024x768x32

[note: it seams that if a mode isn't supported then OSX chooses the closest VESA mode i.e. 1280x1024x32 -> 1024x768x32]

If anyone has any ideas on what supported modes in Widescreen the GMA500 has, I would be grateful for that info to try - lots of trial & error but no hard facts

I would like to run 1280x720x32 if possible (or change the resolution to this) - ideas?

p.s. apolologies if I'm rambling - long day & very tired

« Question marks instead of icons in the dock | Inspiron 1012 | NetbookInstaller/NetbookMaker img files? »