General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default **Help Snow Leopard/Question - 02-02-2010, 11:57 AM

I just got my new dell mini... and planning to install OSX on it.
just wanting to clear up something, been doing research for 1 week now and i want this to go as smoothly as i can, and ive looked at tutorials and spend countless hours on the net and i just want to clear things up
Here they are:

1. Do i need OSX Leopard before i can install Snow Leopard or can i just go straight to Snow Leopard?

2. Whats the best way to convert to IMG file. Can i just convert it to .iso then change the extension file to .img will that work?

3. Since i dont have a MAC system to restore the Snow Leopard DVD to USB will this method work? (BELOW)

4. Which versions works the best A06 or A04?

4. If i use A06 Bios will i need a new NBI_083F if theres a new one? or The one below fine?

5. I looked at the 'READ ME' for the IMGWRITTER program and it has a build requirements do i need to meet those requirements?
Build Instructions:

1. MinGW
2. Qt for Windows SDK

Short Version:
1. Install the Qt Full SDK
2. Run compile.bat -OR- run qmake and then make in the src folder.
3. Compile.bat may be edited to change installation paths of MinGW and QT
6. If i do how to i run the Compile.bat on the latest QT Full SDK?

6. Bios settings(this is always different on tutorials)? and what do i enable before booting to OSX?
Boottime Diagnostic:?
Intel Speed step Technology:?
On Board Lan Control:?
WLAN control:?
USB Bios Legacy Support:?
USB Wake support:?
Function Key behavior:?
7. If i am planning to connect a BT dongle in the future, will i need to disable bluetooth on the Bios before installing OSX and turn it on later when i actually connect my BT or Do i enable it now without having the BT dongle on?

Minimum Requirements
  • PC with Windows XP, Vista, or 7 and a DVD drive.
  • Retail Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard Install DVD, any version (What is Retail?)
  • Small USB Drive 64 MB or greater (HDD, SSD, flash, etc.) for the bootloader.
    If using a Dell Mini 10v, an SD card will work great, the internal card reader acts like a USB device. (Sorry Mini 9 owners!)
  • Large USB Drive for Mac OS X Installer: 16 GB or greater.
    I highly recommend the Sandisk Cruzer Micro series drives, just make sure to remove the U3 software first!
  • 8 GB (10.5 Leopard) or 16 GB (10.6 Snow Leopard) HDD/SSD or larger, Intel GMA graphics (950 or 500) and Intel Atom processor.
  • RAM: 512 MB (10.5 Leopard) or 1 GB (10.6 Snow Leopard) or greater.
  • Software:
  • Mac OS X Updates:
Pre-Install Checklist
  • Meet Minimum Requirements (above), the specifics DO matter.
  • Download and unzip/decompress (when applicable) all listed software.
  • If this is your first time installing, boot into default operating system on your netbook and check that all hardware, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and camera are functional and turned on (if present).
  • Check your BIOS settings. (more info)
On Windows
  1. Unzip Image Writer to any folder on your computer. (Make sure to extract all the files in the ZIP file.)
  2. Connect the two USB drives to your PC and insert the Mac OS X Install DVD.
  3. Open your favorite CD/DVD recording program, and make a complete copy of the Mac OS X Install DVD to an ISO file. Save the ISO file to the C: drive as macdvd.iso.
    Make absolutely certain that it copies the entire DVD, not just the 510MB or 1GB Windows part. The resulting file should be somewhere close to 7 GB.
  4. Go to the C: drive (viewing as a folder) and select Tools > Folder Options… > View and make sure to uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for know file types" (when this step is done you can go back and reenable this feature if you do not like the file extensions appearing after file names.) Press OK, then rename the macdvd.iso file to macdvd.img. If you get asked about if you are sure you want to change it, press Yes.
  5. Open My Computer (or just Computer) and write down the drive letters for each respective USB drive.
  6. Open the Image Writer program (it's called Win32DiskImager in the folder you extracted).
  7. The small USB drive is first. Select the correct drive letter under Device, slect the NBI_083F image under Image File, press Write and then Yes. The Progress indicator will help you know when it is finished.
  8. Now select the large USB drive number, and select the macdvd.img file. Press Write and then Yes; this one will take a bit longer so wait for the progress indicator to finish..
  9. When it is done, close Image Writer and remove the USB drives. Eject the DVD and put it away.

Bboy Seek
  (#2) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM

to 1. no, the way is shown in the guide, follow it.

3. see second point

4. A06

4.1. the newest is the best ever

5. ignore the readme!

6. like fifth

7. USB legacy enabled later disabled
Usb Wake disabled
bluetooth disabled

after installation you can enable wake usb.

Bluetooth dongle have nothing to do with bios bluetooth, let disabled.

Good Luck

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#3) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by BBoy Seek View Post
1. Do i need OSX Leopard before i can install Snow Leopard or can i just go straight to Snow Leopard?
To clarify the above "no" answer, you can just go to Snow Leopard without having first installed Leopard.

Beyond that, just use the latest guide that will work for your hardware, and NBI 0.8.3 Final. I don't think the BIOS version matters now (I use A05, others A04 and others A06).

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT

« help! I think I really messed up | New Mini 10v, NBI 0.83, OSX 10.5 Leopard, "You need to restart your computer" »