General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#171) Old

Default 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Hello everybody,

With the help of members and of the forums, i have been able to install OS X on my Dell Mini 10 (1012).

Here is my configuration :

Dell Mac Mini 10 (1012)
2 GB pf 800 Mghz
250GB Hard disk
NetBookinstaller and NetBookBootMaker (NBI .8.4pre)
Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Retail already updated)

There are things that are not working :

- External VGA monitor
- Sleeping mode
- Screen saver beside the "Computer Name" and the 1st Apple folder
- Display of pictures (works on Internet but not with a local image of 4MB) This should be linked to the graphic card accelerator. After watching the monitor, it looks that "Aperçu" is taking the CPU and doesn't display th picture !

Do you have some kind of point of situation ? Do some member have solved one of these problems.

I thank you very much for your help

Last edited by Reddevil; 06-09-2010 at 10:27 AM.
  (#172) Old

Default 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
Hello everybody,

With the help of members and of the forums, i have been able to install OS X on my Dell Mini 10 (1012).

Here is my configuration :

Dell Mac Mini 10 (1012)
2 GB pf 800 Mghz
250GB Hard disk
NetBookinstaller and NetBookBootMaker (NBI .8.4pre)
Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Retail already updated)

There are things that are not working :

- External VGA monitor
- Sleeping mode
- Screen saver beside the "Computer Name" and the 1st Apple folder
- Display of pictures (works on Internet but not with a local image of 4MB) This should be linked to the graphic card accelerator. After watching the monitor, it looks that "Aperçu" is taking the CPU and doesn't display th picture !

Do you have some kind of point of situation ? Do some member have solved one of these problems.

I thank you very much for your help
Having exactly the same problems as you.

+ OSX boot up time takes like 10minutes, i probably need to reinstall to fix it.. tried reinstalling NBI but no luck..
  (#173) Old

Default 06-10-2010, 02:57 AM

@Reddevil:

most of the issues you have are still works in progress

10 min boot time is horrible , I get fidgetty when mine doesn't bootup before a minute. I hope the re-install fixes it.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#174) Old

Default 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Can some post the .IMG file of the .8.4pre for those of us who do not have access to a SL mac, but can use image write on windows? I'm sure there are plenty of others who would apreciate this as well
  (#175) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Tried this out , rebooted and crossed my fingers...

but it didn't work or maybe I missed something else too bad.

I'll try and do more searching ang give it a go again (that's after I bakup my files, just to be safe )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulisi View Post
dear mr. Rhycel,
fancy for this:
"Device ID of GMA 950 in real MacBook is 27A2, and the ID of GMA 950 in many netbooks is 27AE.
So, rewriting the ID, 27A2 to 27AE in “AppleIntelGMA950.kext” and “AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext” is the way to activate GMA 950 in netbooks. And “patch27ae.command” is the Terminal Script for this way (exactly, this script makes copy of these kexts renamed “27aeAppleIntel–”.).
Therefore, the same way might make activate GMA 3150, which is reported as GMA 950.
According to Wikipedia, device ID of GMA 3150 is A011 or A012. So, modifying “patch27ae.command”, for example, “27AE8086″ to “A0118086″, “\x86\x80\xAE\x27″ to “\x86\x80\xA0\x11″ (or “27AE8086″ to “A0128086″, “\x86\x80\xAE\x27″ to “\x86\x80\xA0\x12″), and using this script might be the way to activate GMA3150.
Edit:
and need “device-properties” string in com.apple.Boot.plist, or Natit.kext, maybe."

i noticed that i don't have guts and also tool, how to read and write the kext files. do you know what tool needed to write the kext? thankyou.

(#176) Old

Default Dell Inspiron 1012 Mac OS X 10.6.3 Guide using NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre with Sound - 06-16-2010, 04:30 AM

Notes
no bluetooth - I haven't even tired BlueTooth, i don't use it or have a device to test with.
This install cannot be updated to 10.6.4

This guide was put together from snippets from the following pages.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on Dell Mini 10v Guide
Dell Mini 1012 and OS X
OS X Netbook News | Blog | OSX | mechdrew
In the hope this will help Mechdrew with a update the NetbookBootMaker and NetbookInstaller and make this guide obsolete
It took me a while to read through it all and finally get sound working so hopefully this helps others.

Downloads needed for this guide
NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre & NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 pre
NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre Meklort's Blog
PlistEdit Pro
Download PlistEdit Pro for Mac - Property list editor. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Mac OS X 10.6.3 v1.1 update
Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)

Stage 1 Prepare USB HDD 16GB or bigger to boot and install OS X (I used a external 300GB HDD but anything should work)
On your Mac OS X 10.6 with DVD-ROM drive and USB port:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.0 DVD), and connect the external USB drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Stage 2 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Create and format a “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition
6. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

Stage 3 Install 10.6.3 update
Install the 10.6.3 update, it'll take awhile, be patient
On reboot it'll stop with error "You need to restart your computer. Hoild down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."
So during boot press F8 it'll halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from
Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar
Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"
Type arch=i386 and press enter
Should boot O.K. now (Just this once though, it will fail again on reboot)

Stage 4 Get sound working (Install NetbookInstaller) and fix arch=i386 boot problem
Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre.app’ application select target as partition that you installed OSX to and click install
Close NetbookInstaller
Don't reboot
Install PlistEdit Pro
Open PlistEdit Pro
Select File Open, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
Open com.apple.Boot.plist
Kernel Flag string entry will be blank
Change it to arch=i386
Select File Save and punch in your password
Close PlistEdit Pro
Reboot and sound should be working.
DONE

Sound Pop - Haven't looked into fixing it yet but these articals describe how to fix it so give it a try.
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...2-20-09-a.html
Software >> antipop 1.0.2

Notes
Retail DVD that included the 10.6.3 update didn't work with NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre.app i used a retail DVD without the update eg 10.6.0 DVD eg SL10A432 DVD
VoodooHDA didn't fix sound
Sound will not without booting with arch=i386_64 boot flag
Don't use NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1.app it didn't work for me my mini 1012 using the 10.6.0 SL10A432 DVD
I haven't even tired BlueTooth, i don't use it or have a device to test with.
I downgraded from A07 bios to A04 to do this. I haven't upgraded to A07 to test yet. Download bios from Dell - Drivers and Downloads
I followed ldoogy post on 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM to edit the PHLASH.INI to down grade the bios from a Windows 7 install Downgrade your Mini 10v BIOS to A04 (Requires Windows)

Last edited by jedparkes; 06-17-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Guide needed fixing
  (#177) Old

Default Dell Inspiron 1012 Dual Boot Windows 7 64b & Mac OS X 32b 10.6.3 Guide - 06-17-2010, 05:21 AM

Notes
no bluetooth - I haven't even tired BlueTooth, i don't use it or have a device to test with.
This install cannot be updated to 10.6.4

This guide was put together from snippets from the following pages.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on Dell Mini 10v Guide
Dell Mini 1012 and OS X
Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive
OS X Netbook News | Blog | OSX | mechdrew
In the hope this will help Mechdrew with a update the NetbookBootMaker and NetbookInstaller and make this guide obsolete
It took me a while to read through it all and finally get sound working so hopefully this helps others.

Downloads
Dell Battery Application
Drivers and Downloads
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7 64b
*Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7* (exe)
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums
NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre & NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 pre
NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre Meklort's Blog
PlistEdit Pro
Download PlistEdit Pro for Mac - Property list editor. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Mac OS X 10.6.3 v1.1 update
Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)

Stage 1 Prepare USB HDD 16GB or bigger to boot and install OS X (I used a external 300GB HDD but anything should work)
On your Mac OS X 10.6 with DVD-ROM drive and USB port:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.0 DVD), and connect the external USB
drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Step 2 Make USB Bootable Windows 7 64b installer
On a Windows 7 PC
Run cmd as administrator
run diskpart
type LIST DISK
Locate the USB drive you want to boot from
type SELECT DISK 2
type CLEAN
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
type SELECT PARTITION 1
type ACTIVE
type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
type ASSIGN
type EXIT
Staying in the administrator CMD prompt Browse to boot folder on Windows 7 DVD
run BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 f:
Copy contents of Windows 7 64b DVD to f:

Step 3
boot USB Windows 764b
hit Shift 10
run diskpart
type LIST DISK
type SELECT DISK 0
type CLEAN
type convert gpt
type CREATE PARTITION efi size=200
create 1st partition for OSX 80GB (Create whatever size you want)
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=80000
create 2nd partition for Windows 7 100GB (Create whatever size you want)
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=100000
Confirm partition created
type LIST PARTITION
Make sure Windows 7 partition is selected, should have a * again it, if not type SELECT PARTITION 3
type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
Turn off

Stage 4 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Select the first partition on the HDD mine was called disk0s2
6. Select Erase, format should be “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition and give it a name eg "OSX_HDD"
7. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
8. Select the partition you just created and click install
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

Stage 5 Install 10.6.3 update
Install the 10.6.3 update, it'll take awhile, be patient
On reboot it'll stop with error "You need to restart your computer
. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."
So during boot press F8 it'll halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from
Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar
Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"
Type arch=i386 and press enter (I haven't been able to get it to work in 64 bit)
Should boot O.K. now (Just this once though, it will fail again on reboot)

Stage 6 Get sound working (Install NetbookInstaller) and fix arch=i386 boot problem
Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre.app’ application select target as partition that you installed OSX to and click install
Close NetbookInstaller
Don't reboot
Install PlistEdit Pro
Open PlistEdit Pro
Select File Open, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
Open com.apple.Boot.plist
Kernel Flag string entry will be blank
Change it to arch=i386 (I haven't been able to get it to work in 64 bit)
Select File Save and punch in your password
Close PlistEdit Pro
Reboot and sound should be working.

Stage 7 Install Windows 7 64b
Install to partition that you created earlier, in theory it should be Partition 3 but mine was partition 4
Easy to figure out though it's the last one in the list, if you created a different size partition like i did just look for the partition that is that size
Mine (Partition 4) was auto selected
Configure your installation as you would on your normal Windows
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7 64b
Install Dell Battery Application to get rid of "unknown device"

Stage 8 Configure dual boot
Install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and run
Select Add New Entry
Select Mac under "Operating Systems" at the top
Name = Whatever you like eg. Mac OS X
Mode = MBR

That's it all done

Last edited by jedparkes; 06-17-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Guide Fix
  (#178) Old

Default Have any of you tried to update to 10.6.4? - 06-19-2010, 05:05 PM

I was curious if what they where talking about in the official 10.6.4 update tried so I decided to bite the bullet and tried out updating my 1012 to 10.6.4 since I guess Meklort was too busy to answer my PM which is understandable.

First I logged as root and backed up my /mach_kernel (cp -pr /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.bak) just in case...

And as expected had KP on boot, so I inserted the OSX install usb with nbi.8.4pre and booted from it.

I ran nbi and did fix permissions on my osx disk afterwards I opened the terminal from the Utilities menu and restored my mach_kernel and exited the installer.

Gladly it booted successfully after sometime

The weird thing now is when I look at About this mac it shows Version 10.6.4, I tried to run software update and it said it's up to date.

Anybody know why or am I really running on 10.6.4 now.

Last edited by rhycel; 06-19-2010 at 05:22 PM.
  (#179) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 03:16 AM

Great job you guys I just gave one of my mini 9s to my niece for her 8th bday. So now I gotta give my other one to my other niece or it wont be fair. That leaves me with one 1012, I need to hackintosh!
  (#180) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 05:50 AM

Wow...
can I have one too

Seriously, Congrats.

« hackintosh 1012 only need word processor | - »