General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#101) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 03:10 PM

hi all.

Quick question.

Just recently bought a 1012 as well. Do i need to downgrade the bios? It's currently A07.
  (#102) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 03:22 PM

My quick mini-review on OSX on the 1012 after using it for a week or so.

I'm coming from a Mini 9 with OSX, so there will probably be a few comparisons. The first of which being the keyboard: I'm actually writing this review on my 1012, which would have driven me moderately nuts on the Mini 9.

I was figuring I wouldn't miss graphics acceleration too much, but that turns out not to be the case-- some of the on-board video camera work must be happening in the graphics chipset. I do like to use my netbook for videoconferencing, and that's almost completely out of the question on the 1012-- you look like a slide-show to whoever you're chatting with, and if their video is expanded beyond native resolution on your end, so do they. Playing videos at low resolution works OK if you're working at native resolution-- 720x480 gets a little iffy, and beyond that is pretty much out of the question.

Anyone who has used the Dell Mini 9 knows just how bad its trackpad is. I figured that there were two major reasons to get a Mini 1012: The keyboard has all the keys in the right place and the trackpad _had_ to be better. Well, Dell has managed to impress: They've somehow managed to make an even worse trackpad than the one on the Mini 9. I'm only a little bit boggled.

Battery life is incredible on the 1012 even with the minimal amount of power manglement stuff available in OS X-- best I can tell, OS X never throttles back the processor power via Speedstep or anything of the like. There is no sleep mode for the display. Even still, I'm seeing battery times in the 5-6 hour range.

I'm looking forward to future developments on the 1012. Aside from the trackpad, this is in every way a better machine than the Mini 9, and even with the limited OS X support, it's still mostly better.
  (#103) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Hi!, thanks rhyce, that info really helps, but I have a question when you say "Just have to do arch=i386 during the first boot", what does it mean??
  (#104) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Hi Rod91,

when you first boot after the install and you get an error that says " cannot patch 64 bit kernel" (or something to that effect ) you will not be able to boot up, so you have to interrupt booting by pressing any key or shift so you can type in arch=i386.

It's a kernel flag and hopefully gets fixed on the next NBI

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#105) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibs View Post
hi all.

Quick question.

Just recently bought a 1012 as well. Do i need to downgrade the bios? It's currently A07.
I don't think you can downgrade, or at least I don't know how. I tried that with mine which also came with the A07. When you run the bios update exe from windows it gives an error and says something about how you already have a newer bios installed.

I think the biggest problem some people were having with A07 was that it would brick their machines when they tried to upgrade. If you have it already you should be OK.
  (#106) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM

I know that you can downgrade, a few sites suggested it, but my 1012 is only about a month old and I'm posting from SL now.

Used 0.8.3 a couple weeks ago, had the issue of booting. Saw you guys talking about the pre .8.4 so went with that, works great. Obviously I'd love to have the gpu accel too, but it seems like this netbook could be the 10v replacement provided development continues.

I'm at 10.6.0 now, I remember reading 10.6.2 tried to disable the Atom proc installs, is that only for installing? How do I upgrade, just the regular way, or is there something to else to download?
  (#107) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 01:23 AM

Ok ill re-prhase my question before i start the whole process.

my bios version is currently A07, is it necessary for me to downgrade, because if ill follow the 10v (but use .84 pre and the arch=i386) it says A06 should be the minimum. Should i skip the bios downgrade, my A07 is fine?
  (#108) Old
Administrator

Default 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

You can't compare BIOS versions across different models.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#109) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM

ok, with a little luck I was able to make the bluetooth work with the 1012 ( if you have the dell 365). I've noticed that when I scan for devices on my other netbook (a 10v) that I can see my 1012's bluetooth but just can connect to it.

The link in this thread contains the zip file with the way to enable bluetooth in the 1012:
Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install&#33 - InsanelyMac Forum

You will see a folder "Bluetooth 365" and it contains the command hid2hci. You can test it via the command line first and if it also works for you just the follow the instructions that came with it.

You can test run hid2hci via terminal using this:

./hid2hci -p 8162

Have fun

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#110) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Am i the only one and gosha encountering a screenshot not working problem?

I can hear the camera sound when doing alt+shift+3 (or 4), but ive searched through the drive - no image created.

anybody have a fix for that? Is yours working?

« hackintosh 1012 only need word processor | - »