General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Direct load on STEC or Talent using RunCore External Enclosure - 01-17-2010, 12:01 AM

I have a couple STEC and TALENT HDDs available after buying the superior RunCare drives. As an experiment I put the STEC16 in:

RunCore 70mm/50mm SATA/PATA Combo Mini PCI-e External USB Enclosure

I successfully installed 10.5.6 onto the STEC in RunCore enclosure as if I were installing on a RunCore using an iMAC. I updated the MAC 10.5.6 install using a Kingston with the 10.5.8 Combo Update package on it and a pre-Final NetBookInstaller. I used the 'lantzn' method, but didn't use DellEfi1.2a5. Instead I ran the pre-Final NetBookInstaller.

The first time I booted into the installed STEC HDD it appeared so slow as if to stall: after the Apple 'gong', the grey screen came up and lasted several minutes before the 'grey Apple' appeared, which also stayed for much longer than expected. Finally the 'grey Apple with the rotating cog wheel' appeared spinning on the for more than 45 minutes. Finally the STEC HDD appeared to boot to bthe Mac blue screen, but the Dell Mini9 reverted to a grey screen with thin diagonal static lines: the NetBookInstaller version didn't work well, or perhaps the USB NetBookInstaller file was corrupt. So, I did it all again, this time with a fresh download of the latest version NetBookInstaller - .0.8.3Final, which I ran off a Kingston USB stick. (I don't know if the Final version is different/better in some way from the previous version.)

Everything now seemed ok. Very slow again, but ok. Rather than watch the gear spin again, I went to bed. The following morning it was loaded! But with a frozen MAC blue screen prior to the desk top. I guess this was from not being there to 'ok' the re-start after the boot.

Having nothing to lose, I held the power button till the Dell Mini9 turned off, re-started. The Dell booted correctly onto OS 10.5.8 desk-top. I ran the NetBookInstaller - .0.8.3Final once again to be sure it had installed.

Subsequent start-ups ok, but not as good as with an internal Runcore. I don't know yet if it will be stable. I haven't put it into a Mini9. I'm just using it as an external boot.
Anyone else have experience using the STEC or Talent HDD in the RunCore External enclosure? Is the unusual slowness a characteristic of the STEC or the RunCore enclosure, or neither? Has anyone done the process this same way? Then change out the loaded STEC into the Dell Mini itself? Or used a STEC in a RunCore enclosure as an external boot drive?
Thanks to all for some really fantastic, selfless work.

« trouble with dmg and retail disk | Context Menu Key Mapping + other interesting formation. »