General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default EFI Simulation Problems - Please help... - 01-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Hello Everyone, I posted this thread on other forums and got no response. I know this is not the ideal post for this forum but the community here is so good and so responsive I thought maybe someone out there could help... I hope.....

I have done netbook installs for both Mini9 & 10v, I own both.

Hello all,

I am not new to the OS X scene. I have used virtual machines setups, done netbook installs using NetbookCD/Netbook Installer and helped with multiple other types of OS X installs on non Apple Hardware with friends. The current issue I am having is a bit complicated so I will include as much detail as possible. Here we go....

I picked my hardware very carefully (so i thought). My hardware choices were primarily modeled after my Dell Mini 9; since I was so impressed with how smooth OS X ran on it. My thought process was similar Processor, Chipsets, etc would also result in similar installation precedures (not the case at all) and similar (if not better, due to the SATA HDD & faster buses) performance.

Here is the man list of components I purchased:
Seagate Hard Disk Drive[/URL] - Item #: N82E16822148375
Kingston 2GB RAM[/URL] - Item #: N82E16820134187
Jetway Bare Bones Setup[/URL] - Item #: N82E16856107034
Lite On External DVD Burner - USB[/URL] - Item #: N82E16827106296 (This is the same drive I have used for multiple other OS X Installs)
Since I assume that the installation problem I am having is due to the bare bones system (and in my opinion, more specifically, the BIOS) here are the specs:
Brand - Jetway, Model - HBJC200C91-230B
North Bridge - Intel 945GC
South Bridge - ICH7
CPU Type - Integrated Intel Atom CPU (1.6GHZ CPU)
FSB - 533MHz
BIOS - Award 8MB SPI Flash ROM, Pheonix-AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Onboard Video - Intel GMA 950
Onboard Audio - Realtek ALC662
LAN - Realtek RTL8102E
So now on to the problem. When any EFI loads, whether it be Psystar Rebel EFI, Emperor EFI, chameleon (rc2, rc3, rc4), NetbookCD, or My Dell Mini OS X Installer, the device boots (I can see the boot text flash for a quick second) and then the screen goes blank.

I do not know if the software is running properly and the display is malfunctioning or if the software is actually crashing. When I used My Dell Mini OS X Boot CD (which as all text based) it did in fact boot up, it just did not load the EFI properly because I could not get it to boot an OS X hard drive or OS X Installation CD.

I suspsect there is a BIOS setting that is preventing the EFI from loading. If you check the Psystar Rebel EFI Wiki[/URL] it advises to set the following paramiters to allow the EFI to run properly:
1. Boot the computer into the BIOS settings.
2. Under the Advanced BIOS Features menu, set:
o HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Enabled]
o CPU Enhanced Halt [Disabled]
o CPU Thermal Monitor [Disabled]
o CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
3. Under the Integrated Pereprhals menu, set:
o USB Keyboard Function [Enabled]
o USB Mouse Function [Enabled]
o Onboard SATA/IDE Device [AHCI]
4. Under the Power Management Setup menu, set:
o HPET Mode [64-bit Mode]
5. Save changes.
6. Exit BIOS Settings.
The problem I run in to here is that Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG does not have all of these options available, as far as I know. I looked through each menu in the BIOS looking for all of these options.

Pretty much, that is where I stand. I think it is a BIOS problem but I am not positive. I know the disks are good as they boot properly on other machines, I know the drive is good because I tested it on the other machines also. I know the disk is booting because I see "vmlinux......." a flash of more text and then black.... Any suggestions, ideas questions or just a, "Hang in there, I am sure you will figure it out!" would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know if there is an update to the BIOS for this so I can set all options appropriately???

Jeffrey M. Simon
Thanks in Advance!
  (#2) Old
Default 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Sorry for your problems, but this forum is Dell specific.

Don't be surprised by a lack of responses.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Yes, I am aware it is dell specific. I figure there may be some people well versed considering that this unit uses the same chipsets and processors that the dell units use... For instance, I am well versed in this type of problem, it is very odd that I can not resolve it on my own...
  (#4) Old
Default 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM

You might want to see if there's anything of value here

Hackint0sh Support - Hackint0sh

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#5) Old
Default 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

That is one of the other forums I posted on first.... hahaha. Thank you for the consideration though.

« Very strange. Gray message "you need to restart your comp.." | Installation problems on both Method 1 & 2: need advice »